Happy Reunion

"He's gonna kill me, he's absolutely going to god damn slaughter me when gets here. Oh god he's gonna be so fucking pissed", Sam rambled to himself for possibly the millionth time as he passed the gas station that he and Colby stopped at before they approached that damned building. His gloved hands had been gripping the steering wheel so tightly for the past hour his palms were aching. He was breathing in and out at a rhythmic pace, trying to keep himself calm. It was reaching half 2 am now, he left the house a while after leaving Colby, spending a great amount of his time debating whether or not he should go through with this.

He flinched when his phone started to ring in his pocket. He didn't need to check the screen to know who it was. He was waiting for Colby to call honestly... He knew it would've happened eventually and he considered answering but chose against that. He needed to focus on driving and to be frank, he was pissing himself thinking about how ballistic Colby would be.

Colby called about four times before Sam reached the turn off to the forested road. He switching off his car once he was on the dirt road and sat back after pulling his phone from his back pocket. Just as he'd expected... Colby was calling him. His free hand scratched his thigh nervously as he watched the call drop and his lock screen of he and Colby came to view.

Two minutes passed and the screen flashed to life; Colby was calling him again. With severe reluctance he answered and brought it to his ear, hearing a breath of relief on the other end.

"Colby, I know you're mad- "

"Mad? You underestimate me".

"I need to do this Colby", Sam argued and Colby gave out a loud, furious laugh that made Sam swallow his heart down.

"You need to do this? Is that right? Say that again, I fucking dare you! It's getting torn down in a fucking week Sam, you couldn't have waited til then? Are you fucking serious!?" Colby was seething in anger and Sam bit his lower lip and looked ahead at the dark dirt road that was barely lit up by the headlights of his car. It looked incredibly unwelcoming. He didn't have time for this confrontation.

"Well I'm here aren't I? That should show how serious I am. I'm about twenty minutes away. I'm guessing I'll see you soon right?" He smiled to himself as Colby made an aggravated noise, like he knew he wasn't going to convince Sam to turn back... But he had to try.

"Sam... Please don't do this".

"You're my hero Colby. You'll save me right? Though... I won't be mad if you decide to leave me here because I've totally fucked you over this time around huh? This is so screwed of me", he laughed dryly and Colby's end remained silent so Sam continued. "Really though Colb's... I won't be upset if you don't come this time, it would be better off if I just... Didn't come back this time, because knowing this place I won't come out unscarred. You must be so tired of me clinging to you like a shadow, you're so kind so you've never said it to my face but I know it's gotta be draining just because I'm so... Pathetically stubborn. Thank you Colby... Really you- "

"Stop", Colby finally spoke. "Stop. It. That's enough Sam. You're full of shit. You know what's actually fucking draining Sam? The fact that you think I'm just going to discard you like you're nothing to me. That's what really gets on my nerves. Do not underestimate my devotion to you. Don't you fucking dare", his words made Sam pull his lips into a firm line and his eyes closed. "There is nothing in this world that you could do to make me hate you. Nothing".

"Saying it is one thing..."

"Have I given you reason to doubt my promises?"

"I'll see you soon then", Sam ended the conversation abruptly because at this point, Sam may just never get off the phone and Colby might just reach him before he had the chance to reach the place. "I love you Colby... I love you", he mumbled and he cut off Colby's saying his name as he ended the call and switched off his phone completely before discarding it in the passenger's seat next to him. The drive to the gates took about 25 minutes and his car halted as his lights shone over the open gates.