A phone call away

Sam whipped his head around with a startled stumble of his feet at the sudden movement when he heard a shrill scream coming from the inside of the building. "What the fuck!?" Sam exclaimed, his eyes searching through the night darkness for the source. "Did you hear that?" Colby exclaimed, pausing for a moment before returning to his mission in breaking the lock and getting Sam the hell out.

"That can't be real! This place is fucked!" Sam was a wreck at that moment, he felt like he could slip into madness in a moments notice at this point, none of this was treating him well at all. There was another scream that sounded like a young girl, but Colby had bashed the lock off the gate and threw it open and hurried to Sam's side, pulling Sam against his chest and hugging him from behind.

"Let's get the hell out of here", Sam demanded desperately as he turned to face Colby, clutching his shoulders while he stared at his partner with wide, fearful eyes. "Yeah, come on Sam", Colby draped Sam's arm over his shoulders and grabbed the camera which was still rolling before he helped Sam limp his way to the vehicle.

"Help! Is anyone there?!" The same young voice cried out pleadingly, Colby being the only one that gave the building a glance, Sam too focused on getting in the car and driving the fuck away from this place.

"Sam, there's someone in there", Colby said.

"Have you not seen half the hell this place threw at us!? It's probably a fucking trick!" Sam shook his head at Colby, forcing the door to the passengers side of the car open and sitting down. Sam couldn't drive even if he wanted to, his legs were in too much pain for him to be able to work the gears.

"I know... But it's just..." Colby looked at the open doors a second time when he heard another cry. "There's no time to be a fucking hero Colby! We need to go now! Look at your head! Look at my legs, we need to see a doctor!" Sam negotiated with Colby, still irritated that he had to actually try and convince Colby it was a bad idea to even consider going back.

"Call Elton Sam, call someone while I check it out", Colby shut the door as if to end the conversation there, ignoring the muffled shouts that came from Sam inside the car. Colby cautiously meandered his way over, a million thoughts in his mind screaming at his stupidity just like Sam was.

Yet that inner patriotism that burned in his heart told him he had to see who it was, if it really was a person who was scared and maybe even wounded. Sam slammed his hand on the dashboard in frustration as he watched Colby's back grow smaller the further he walked away from the car and to the building.

"Idiot!" Sam glared down at the camera which was placed on the drivers seat facing the steering wheel. Sam searched the car as best he could for either his or Colby's phone, soon finding his own in the small compartment box in the middle of the car. With shaking hands he unlocked the phone, the blood that stained his fingertips marked the screen of his phone but that was honestly the least of his concerns. He went into his contacts and called the first person he thought of.

He brought the phone to his ear and shut his eyes tightly to hold back the tears that dared to fall. "Pick up, pick up... God damn pick up!' He growled desperately as it rung three times before the line picked up. "Hey babe!" Katrina sang to him, hitting his eardrums like an angel singing, relief swelling within him to the fact she picked up.

"K-Kat! Katrina! Thank god! I-I'm... We... Uh... We're in trouble... I-I don't know what the fuck is going on.... Colby j-just went off b-but I had to call for help a-and you were the f-first person I thought of", Sam spoke through his shaking voice, the tears finally breaking through the closed lids and streamed uncontrollably down his flushed cheeks.

"Woah, woah, Sam! Babe calm down! Are you crying?" Katrina said with concern in his tone. "I'm so fucking scared Kat! I-I don't know what's going on... I don't know where Colby is... We-we were recording an exploration video f-for the Sam and Colby channel but it went terribly! I-I... Kat... Kat I can't move my fucking legs!" Sam started to sob pathetically as his free hand gently rubbed at his thigh, even that gesture alone made his limbs pang with agony.

"Ha, Sam this isn't time for a prank babe! You almost got me there!" Katrina simply brushed it off as one of his little jokes, clearly in denial that her boyfriend was in actual distress. "Wh-What?! No! I'm not fucking joking Katrina!" Sam desperately exclaimed, his eyes shot wide open in terror.

"Listen babe, nice try but you know I'm outta town and mom and dad are waiting, we can talk later okay!?"

"Kat! No please! I'm being serious!" He exclaimed while he shook his head, the tears flying from his face. "Yeah babe! The acting is really coming along! I'll chat later, I love you!" Sam screamed for her not to go but soon the line went dead and he sat there in absolute shock that his own girlfriend had brushed off his desperate cry for help as a joke.

"Fucking! Fuck!" Sam didn't have time to throw a fit as he knew, so he went on to type Elton's number, quickly bringing it to his ear and waiting until Elton picked up just a moment later. "Sam? Can whatever you need wait, I'm kinda in the middle of something right-"

"Elton! Help me! We... We were attacked and Colby's gone off and hasn't come back! I'm so fucking scared dude! I just called Kat and she thought I was fucking joking! Please please PLEASE HELP!" Sam screamed into the phone, not wanting to waste any more time than he already had with that pathetic call with Katrina.

"Jeez man, calm down and breathe! Where are you two?"

Sam blurted out the hospital name about five times because Elton couldn't understand what he was trying to say between his spluttered sobs.

"I'll come as soon as I can, I'm heading to the car, Heath and Amanda are with me okay? Stay on the phone with me Sam!" Sam couldn't help but smile with relief for his friend Elton, silently thanking God that Elton believed him and was actually coming to their rescue.

"Th-Thank you Elton! Thank God for..." He noticed something out of the corner of his eyes, his head slowly turning only for his heart to nearly spring right from his chest in terror at the figure of a young girl standing right outside the window beside him.

_______________________