~Part One: A Soldier in Battle~

Fire

Fire.

Ice.

Blood.

Claws.

Screams.

Roars.

Wings of silvery-white.

Wings of pale gold.

Lemming didn't have time to wipe the blood off her face before she had to dart away from a SandWing's poisonous tail.

How she hated fighting SandWings; you had to shield yourself from their fire and if you weren't quick enough you would be stabbed with the scorpion barb at the end of their tails, the venom of which had no known cure.

One misstep and you were dead.

All battles were like this, though, weren't they?

As Lemming whirled around the overcast sky, she could see nothing but dragons fighting.

She watched a SandWing stab his tail into an IceWing's heart.

She watched an IceWing rip into a SandWing's wings with her sharp claws.

Dragons as young as four were fighting in the battle, and Lemming had seen many upon many dragonets killed in battle.

As much as there was to take in, Lemming didn't have time to look around herself; this wasn't an ice garden she could just stroll casually through. Lemming ducked as a six-year old SandWing lunged at her, tail aiming for her heart.

Lemming wheeled around and slit the female dragon's throat with spikes at the end of her tail.

The moon-silver IceWing glanced warily about herself with her storm-grey eyes. Another SandWing launched himself at her, and grappled with her.

Lemming wormed out of his grip and summoned her frostbreath, freezing the side of his face. The SandWing gave a shrill screech of pain as he spiralled down to the mountainous terrain and crashed into a boulder.
What luck Lemming had that she was so small. Many a time dragons thought she was weak because of her small size. It was true that she wasn't as strong or bulky as other dragons, but being half the size she was supposed to be came in handy during battles when her opponents tried to grab her or strangle her.

Lemming flew over to a group of SandWings who were attacking an IceWing with dark blue eyes and grey speckles.

"Owl!" Lemming shouted as she swooped over the SandWings, slashing one's wing with her tail as she passed.

"Lemming! My sis'!" Owl shouted as she raked her claws down a SandWing's snout. The SandWing roared in fury and took a deep breath in, preparing to release his firebreath.

Owl froze his left wing and slashed his throat with her claws.

Lemming attacked one of the SandWings that remained around her and Owl, slashing her claws across his chest and underside. Owl dove below them and bit the SandWing's tail, ripping off the tip and tossing it to the ground below.