FIFTY - SIX ✵ a bad time in the woods

Start from the beginning

"Zeref, he... he's nice and kind from what I have seen." Y/N answered as she followed behind him.

The old man smiled softly. "But you know of his past, all the sins he as committed, the murders, the destruction."

Y/N felt her heart clench, she felt something move in her stomach. "Well, yeah... but I don't judge people on their worst mistakes."

She gasped when she felt a hand land on her shoulder. It was cold and firm. She felt long nails dig into her skin, pulling her back.

"Oh don't be such a downer August." Irene smiled. "I'm sure the Scarlet Slayer knows full well the weight of the Emperor's sins, like she knows her own."

A cold shiver shot down Y/Ns spine, the sound of Scarlet Slayer smacked her skin and at that very moment, she knew that running back to her room and hiding under her bed was the option she should have taken.

Agust turned to see Irene, a smirk stained on her red lips.

Y/N was sure that if Irene wasn't holding her she would have fallen to her knees. The pure power radiation off them was enough to make the girl reach for her knife hidden in her pocket.

No one in her guild could compare to them. They were power without equal.

"We have to make sure Irene." Agust spoke, his grip on his staff tightening.

The woman rolled her eyes and let go of the girl. "I know that... but I think she's a good choice."

Y/N watched with wide confused eyes as the two stared at each other. They were debating... no, they were arguing. She wasn't sure but she knew it was about her. The way their accusing eyes would glance back down to her before snapping back to each other made her bit her stomach do flips.

August hummed, his eyes scanning the girl. She didn't flinch under his gaze, she kept her posture strong and hid any sign of weakness.

The old man nodded his head and moved to the side, allowing her to walk past him. She felt Irene shove her softly.

Like they were giving her permission.

"The woods aren't far from here, just walk east and you'll see it." Irene gleed from behind her. A wave of uncertainty smacked Y/N in the face. She could always tell when she was walking into danger. This was no exception.

"Thanks..." She mumbled as she quickly walked away from them. Glancing at August as she walked past.

Both adults watched as she walked away. A grim mood swam through the air as her footsteps faded away.

"We could have just sent that girl to her death."

Irene smiled, her eyes filled with a fierce determination. "She'll help him. When am I ever wrong?"

They both walked away, not noticing Larcade standing behind a wall. His hands turned to fists, his jaw clenched.

︽✵︽

"I'm having mating season flashbacks." Y/N mumbled as she walked through the woods. The weight of her feet snapping the twigs and leaves. The crunching echoing around her.

A huff of air left her lips and she could see the white air disappear into the night. Why was Zeref in the woods? It had been sparking at her mind for a while now and no matter what her brain came to she couldn't think of a valid reason.

Maybe it was just something he liked to do. She hardly knew the man, maybe he was the go in the woods late at night type of guy.

She shrugged her shoulders and sighed. Her eyes drifted up to the dark sky, the stars slowly being hidden by the thick clouds.