Chapter 1- S.T.A.R. labs

It all started when I was ten. My sister who was eight years older, had started dating an asshole. He seemed alright, but I knew something was off with him. Who would have known the bastard would kill my parents when Dakota refused to date him again. She had taken custody of me after that. They caught him of course; thank god they did.

I was sitting in my apartment above my family restaurant. I did the managing stuff that required not being social. After the incident I was nearly mute. I would give looks, write notes, and in rare instances I'd say one or two worded answers. "Karsyn," Dakota called. I walked to the door of my room and she was waving me over. My sister and I looked very similar. Same slight tan, same curly brown hair. The only difference was our eyes. Mine were brown almost gold while hers were deep green with flecks of yellow.

She turned on the tv and I sat down seeing it was the one year anniversary of the S.T.A.R. labs particle accelerator malfunction. It wiped out a few blocks nearby. Something happened that day a year ago. I stopped breathing for almost twenty seconds after getting zapped by the fried electricity circuits. I didn't tell anyone of course. I kinda just did some of my own research. Especially on this guy the Flash. No one knows who he is. I had become good at hacking and trained in close quarters combat five days a week. Central city was holding a memorial service today in the town square. It was in almost an hour and Dakota looked at me like 'Please'. I sighed in defeat nodding, and put on my beat up converse sneakers and a jacket. She put on boots and a jacket.

We walked down closing up shop and walked along the sidewalk in silence. "Felicity," A voice called almost in my ear. A blonde was running off upset. I heard a groan and someone shoved past me. He was tall, lean, had blue eyes, skin almost paler than my own and brown hair that was fluffed-ish in the front. "Sorry," he apologized and chased after the blonde.

Was that Barry Allen? Seems like it was. He was a sweet kid in high school the two of us had been paired up on labs a bit. He talked a lot and fast. He either rambled about science or something unexplainable. It amazed me how he believed whole heartedly in the unexplained. It was ironic that now I am the unexplained or maybe foreshadow. I sat next to Dakota on the ledge of the stairs. The ceremony dragged out. It was sweet and sad, but I was often indifferent when attending these sorts of events so I was slightly bored.

"Go away Barry," Felicity I presume said somewhere behind us. "Felicity I'm sorry," Barry's voice said. "Sorry can't fix the fact that you weren't there when I needed you. Goodbye Barry," Felicity said. She walked past, and a scent of petrichor followed behind her. Barry jumped down and leaned against the stair ledge. I glanced at him then back towards the ceremony.

Sometime later I heard, "Karsyn?" I looked back and he smiled at me. I waved slightly. "Hi," he said. "Who's this," Dakota asked. "I'm Barry Allen we used to be lab partners in AP chem," he answered for me. I smiled a bit nodding. "I'm Dakota her sister," Dakota stated. "So you're Dakota," He said giving me a smile that said he wouldn't throw me under the bus. I nodded. "We should catch up sometime, but I gotta go check on Felicity make sure she doesn't get into trouble," he said. I waved and he ran off. "He's cute and sweet, and smart," Dakota said. I shrugged. "Girlfriend," I said softly pointing a bit. "So? It seems it won't be working out," Dakota said. I shrugged. "Kar," Dakota started and I looked over, "please be careful with that lunatic on the loose."

I rolled my eyes a bit. Not this again. Ever since some crazy asshole had the idea to copy this guy from the Glades in Starling City, Dakota's been a nervous wreck the guy will kidnap me. I gave her a look to say I'll be fine. She just sighed and looked ahead. The service finally ended and I got up. We got caught in the crowd and I was shoved ahead. We can meet up at the restaurant she has the key anyways. I started walking and decided on taking a shortcut.