Maha, however, was hesitant. She looked to Zinneera and Safiyya. The 'Ameer' noticed and the corner of his lips trembled slightly in an effort to keep smiling.

"Not to worry." He added. "They will follow you soon. I have a few simple questions for them, that is all."

Zinneera wondered what the man from the desert had told him as Maha reluctantly left the room. Immediately his smile dropped.

"It is sad what has happened to you and your community. You have my condolences." He spoke, walking towards them. Even Safiyya did not bother in being polite now. "Would you mind relaying the events for me please."

"We had just returned from visiting our uncle when we met Maha and Ismael along the way. They were coming back from visiting family too. When we arrived home, we could see that it was completely abandoned, except for Maryam who had managed to escape. She found us and then we saw the farmland on fire." Safiyya said solemnly.

"We could hear the bandits, or whoever they are, celebrating. Obviously, we did not go after them given that there were only five of us and many of them." Zinneera added.

"Obviously." He added unnecessarily, seeming to mull over their story, stroking his stubble which was the only part of his appearance that seemed well taken care of.

"So it is apparently no concern that a young woman and her younger brother were travelling alone? And you both happened to be visiting family? Why did you not agree to return at the same time? Not to mention it is very convenient you were away at the right moment is it not?"

"Qadr (fate)." Zinneera replied stiffly.

"Quite." The man said, unamused. "Where did you get those swords from?"

"My brother." Zinneera blurted out. "He is a swordsmith."

"He is? Marvellous work I must say." Zinneera did not thank him. "And he happened to make one for all of you? Is it tradition in your village for the women to guard the flock and protect the houses? I am surprised you did not make them yourself."

"It is not, no." Safiyya had a small frown on her face as Zinneera resisted the urge to pick up the cup on the table and throw it at the 'Ameer's' head. "We have them for protection. As you said. We were travelling alone."

"Have we done something wrong?" Zinneera blurted out, trying to keep her anger at bay, but intentionally not addressing the man as 'Ameer'.

He seemed momentarily surprised but calmly narrowed his eyes at her.

"Not that I am currently aware of. But your circumstances are dubious, your story suspicious and I must protect my people from any threat. I do not have any evidence as yet to prove you are not one."

This was the person the Ameer decided was the best candidate to take over his duties when away? This was how he treated those seeking help and aid? Admittedly, there was no evidence to prove they were not a threat, but none to prove they were. What kind of justice was this? Zinneera's awe of the place was diminishing every second. Except, maybe, her awe of how one could be so utterly stupid.

She opened her mouth to give him some of her mind when there was a loud knock at the door. The man scowled, irritated at the interruption, and called out for the person to enter. It was another guard.

"Ibn-al-Ameer is requesting an audience." He spoke with a dead tone.

The 'Ameer' sighed as if he had all the burdens of the world on his shoulders and Zinneera barely hid her scoff.

"Send him in. But first." He turned and motioned toward Zinneera and Safiyya. "Take them to the dungeons until they are ready to reveal the truth. Otherwise, they are suspected allies of the bandits. We shall see if a night in our cells makes them more willing to speak."