4

The fire crackled in the dark, cold, Arabian night, lighting up the remorseful sky with streaks of red and orange. Ripped curtains flapped in the humming wind, loose doors creaked and wild animals peeped out of their hiding places.

The four women and the little boy sat mournfully around a small fire. Malika and Habiba stared off into the dark village like guards on night watch. Maha and Ismael slept by the fire in a semicircle, with the two siblings huddled up between the animals in a small cocoon of blankets, snuggling in their sleep. Safiyya leaned tiredly against the body of her horse her hand resting on a sleeping Maryam to her right. Zinneera sat a small distance away from Maryam's legs, which tended to kick out at random moments, petting her horse slowly.

She was trying to think of what to do. Having been told by the leader at the shelter to stay low, out of trouble, she couldn't think where else to go. And besides her mind was currently in a storm of confusion. Shelters were being attacked, but then why her village? Was this a completely separate incident or not? But how could they be related anyways?

Zinneera tried to think deeper but it only served as a reminder of the recent losses in her life which sent a painful mist over her, clouding her thoughts.

The most likely option would be to leave in the morning to the nearest village to recuperate. Unless these bandits had got through them too. Never had Zinneera felt so directionless; so lost.

She threw a few more small sticks into the fire and was slowly drifting off when a small whisper, carried by the wind, reached her ear. She jolted upright but everyone around her was sleeping, except the horses. Exhausted, Zinneera lay back on her horse, ready to ignore it but when she heard a faint, cluttering sound, she sighed and grabbed her sword, patting Habiba as she stood up.

"Look after them. And make sure to let me know if something happens." She said and nodded at Malika. The two horses let out a grunt in reply and kept their heads up. It almost seemed like they raised them higher than they were before. Sighing despondently again, Zinneera wrapped a blanket around herself. She was sure it was just the wind, but just to ease her nerves, she would walk around the tiny village quickly and then go to sleep.

Humming to herself, Zinneera briefly smiled at a stray cat but froze upon seeing the dark, shadowed figure of a horse in the distance, a few metres from the village entrance. Her eyes narrowed but before she could investigate, a strangled gasp escaped her lips as she was yanked between two houses. Reflexively, she raised her sword and a loud clang echoed through the alley as her sword met another's. The moonlight was barred in this narrow space so Zinneera squinted at the equally dark eyes that stared at her between two pieces of cloth.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?"

Numerous thoughts ran through Zinneera's head. First, who in Allah's ninety-nine names is he to ask questions when this was her home? Secondly, who, quite literally, was he and those identical men standing in a row behind him? Parchment-coloured robes and trousers, leather belts and boots and a thin cloth covering their head and eyes, which apart from their hands, were the only visible part of their bodies. They were certainly dressed like bandits. But it was unlikely since they were long gone. And thirdly, should she stand here even longer, silent in refusal to answer? How dare he grab her like that?

To her immense disappointment, the man was like a Greek statue, the only slight expression being the singular eyebrow he raised as the silence between them stretched for a period of time. Eventually, Zinneera, with great effort on her part, decided to be diplomatic. After all, they could be lunatics.

She yanked her arm out of his grasp with a glare and dusted herself off for effect as the stranger straightened his back, standing tall. Zinneera briefly noticed a small pendant hanging from his belt but before she could analyse it further, it fell behind the folds of his clothes.

"As a matter of fact," She began. "I live here. And you most certainly do not, so who are you? Are we to have another round of pleasant thievery and looting?"

He was silent for a second, tilting his head.

"We do not mean any harm." He finally said and decided that was enough. "The light was from you then?"

"Yes." Zinneera replied stiffly. "If you are not here to harm us then what are you doing here?"

"We are from a nearby town. And we are here concerning the incidents earlier. Your village is not the first to be attacked like this."

The man turned around slightly to converse lowly with his companions and Zinneera tried not to show her surprise. These bandits were certainly worthy of a better name if they had managed to successfully attack and kidnap several villagers.

"How are you still alive?" The stranger decided to remember Zinneera was not an extension of the wall beside them and turned back to address her. Tired and more annoyed at the interruption of her sleep for no good reason, Zinneera sent them a clearly fake smile.

"It is none of your concern." She grunted before turning around and walking back to her group. To her greater displeasure, she heard several light footsteps trailing behind her accompanied by light murmuring.

Upon reaching the fire, Safiyya, who was walking around the pit cautiously and armed, turned to Zinneera with a breath of relief. Seeing her new group of friends trailing behind her, Safiyya's expression turned to one of confusion.

"Zinneera? What is going on?"

"Apparently they are from a nearby town and are looking for information. Though all we have nearby are more villages. Any explanations?" Zinneera whirled around to face them.

"I used the word loosely. We are actually from one of the cities in the north." One of them replied simply, most likely the same one as before. He nodded his head at the camels, horses and three sleeping figures. "Are you the only ones here?"

"Yes. I did several checks earlier when it was still bright." Zinneera confirmed confidently, her tone letting him know there was no space for argument. Catching on, the stranger only analysed his surroundings before his eyes landed back on Zinneera. It seemed he was going to say something before he decided otherwise and turned to face Safiyya.

"How are you still here? To our knowledge, these men either take your life or take you with them."

Zinneera ignored them as Safiyya recounted the events from 'their trip back from visiting their uncle', of course leaving out Ibrahim and the shelter. Eventually, the stranger nodded his head, his golden-brown orbs calculative as he observed the sleeping figures.

"Do you have a plan for what you are going to do tomorrow?"

Zinneera opened her mouth to tell him that they were intending to go to the coast so they could swim away their sorrows but Safiyya quickly jumped in, as if anticipating her friend's upcoming sarcasm.

"Not a firm one. We were originally thinking to go to the nearest village but since they have also been affected, we are not sure."

The man nodded.

"The woman is too old to last if you have no set destination."

Zinneera rolled her eyes. It was always helpful to point out the obvious.

"Yes."

"You have a child to protect."

"Yes."

"You have no medical supplies."

"Indeed."

"Well then," He paused to bellow out an order calmly to his men who moved a short distance away from them to set up camp. "You will come with us. Back to our city. And we will assist you."

Zinneera was not so stupid that she would reject help when it was offered. She nodded her head tiredly, eyeing the space beside her horse like a starving man would a plate of food. Then she briskly and eagerly plopped herself down, nuzzled into Habiba and fell straight into a deep slumber.