11

"Ismael?!" Maha exclaimed. "What about Ismael?!" And she took off in a run.

Jaafar, Safiyya and Zinneera shared a look before taking off after her, towards the staircase, through the curving, twisting corridors until they reached the outside of his room. Maha immediately threw herself at the door to open it but it was locked.

"Ismael!" She yelled, pounding on the door. "Ismael!"

"Go away!" His voice cracked as he yelled back and Maha halted, worried and hurt.

"I was just coming back from Khalil's room." Jaafar explained. "Ismael went running past me and he locked himself in his room. He was crying. When I did not see either of you with him, I thought to find one of you."

The sob from Ismael's room struck Zinneera like blunt shard of glass in her chest. "Ismael, habibi, please let us in. At least let Maha in. Speak to us and we will listen."

"No!"

"Ismael, we only want to help you. Whatever pain you hide from us, we want to alleviate for you. Please habibi." Safiyya tried, her voice maintaining its calmness and gentleness. Ismael did not reply and they all thought he would let them in but then they just heard a louder sob and he shouted out a loud 'leave me alone'.

"Why will he not let me in?" Maha whispered, her hands in fists, nails digging into her palms. "What is so bad he will not see any of us? What if he does something to himself in there? What if-"

"Maha!" Safiyya wrapped her hands over Maha's, gently unfolding them. "Stay calm. If we are calm, the quicker Ismael will also calm down and you can talk to him, ok?"

Jaafar leaned against the wall, looking helpless. "I am sorry. I should have stopped him."

"That boy is faster than a gazelle." Zinneera smiled sadly. "And you were not expecting him to do this."

"What is going on?" An apathetic voice called from the end of the corridor. They all turned around, Safiyya still holding Maha's hands, to see Ibn-al-Ameer strolling slowly towards them in a dark beige robe and matching qamees. He was not wearing a turban so his long thick hair was out. "The guards told me the four of you were causing a ruckus. I cannot say I am surprised."

"It is Ismael." Maha began in a panic again and Safiyya wrapped an arm around her shoulder. "He is inside, crying and he will not let us in."

Zinneera, leaning on the wall beside Ismael's door with her right shoulder, saw from between Safiyya and Maha's head as Khalil tensed. He walked towards the door and paused seeing Zinneera there, before lightly knocking on the wood.

"Ismael." He paused. "It is me, Ismael."

There was no reply from behind the wooden barrier except sniffles. And then finally, "Khalil?"

"Yes, my knight.".

Zinneera briefly noted her surprise at the nickname but her mind was overtaken with concern for Ismael at that moment so she did not comment, as much as she wanted to.

"I will let Khalil in." Ismael announced and Zinneera, from her position, could tell he was right next to the door. "Only Khalil."

Zinneera turned to Maha and couldn't bear the heartbreak written all over her face. The door suddenly unlocked and Khalil swiftly slipped in, the sound of the lock latching again resonating through the corridor.

"Have I done something wrong?" Maha breathed out. "Have I abandoned him that he does not trust me or want my comfort?"

Safiyya opened her mouth to assure her that was not the case but Jaafar beat her to it, still leaning against the wall though he was now staring out the window beside him. "Do not blame yourself Maha. Ismael still loves you most in the world. Khalil just has a way with children."