Chapter 6

Everyday after work I take leftovers to Matteo. He owns a gym that my... I don't want to think about that right now. It's a gym slash boxing ring. He's an old friend of the family. To me at least. I push open the front door and walk in. The place is big and dark, it smells musty and there is a bit of iron in the air.
'Matteo?!' I yell. 'Hey, It's my favourite girl!' He gave me a kiss on the head while holding my face. 'Brought you your favourite, battered and some other specials in there.'
'This is why you're the best. You know you're the best right! So much like your...'
'Hey so how is the place?' I ask interrupting him. He gets the message and Matteo is the one to move on quick, gently.

'Well! You know how this place has been up for a while?'
'Yeah!' Matteo was selling the gym. Just the ownership of it which in the deal states he's still runs as manager like he has been for years.
'It got sold, two days ago.'
'Really? By who?'
'He's in the back. Come on I'll introduce you.' He grabbed my hand and lead me to the office where I saw a guy leaning over a desk signing something.
'Zoie, this is...'
'Julian!' I say shocked. Julian stood up and leaned against the desk. 'What the hell are you doing here?'
'You two know each other? I actually think I'm gonna go eat that food before it gets cold.' Matteo said quickly skipping out.

'Matteo is an old family friend. I bring him leftovers after I finish work every time. You brought the gym?' I felt slightly betrayed. I've known this place since I was a kid and it felt so different now just by knowing who now owns it.
'Right! So I guess seeing you isn't a one off.'
He walked out and into the main hall. I followed him quickly on heel. 'Why did you buy this place?'
'Because I can.'
'This place slightly means something to me!' I say. 'So?'
'So I don't want you turning into some kind of drug den or something!'

He stopped short and turned around to face me. A weird, slightly evil smirk on his face. 'What?!'
I wanted to bite my tongue but I slightly had to know. I was curious by nature.
'At the party I saw you and Gabriel...'
'What? What did you see? I'm pretty sure you didn't see anything.' His voice had gone dark. For some reason he looked twice as tall as a moment before.
'You shouldn't get involved. This is some heavy stuff I don't think you're able to handle.'
'I'm not weak!' He was back to smiling though it wasn't a good one.
I quickly looked around but Matteo had probably taken his food to the back.

He ran his hand over his face and then through his hair. No! Right now was not the time to find him attractive. 'I'm not scared of you.' I just stated loudly. It took him slightly by surprise and now he was laughing again. 'You and Taylor are friends. For you're own good make sure that's as far as you go.'
'What does that mean? Are you threatening me?'
'This world is far bigger than you think! A lot deeper too.'
'You don't know shit about what I think.' I was mad. Julian was bossing me around and pretending like he is a big scary man but he's not. It's all bark no bite.

'You really wanna start with me?'
'No do you!' He didn't know what to say. 'You should get home, it can get scary when it gets dark.' He said walking off to the other side of the gym. I never got a final word in which irritated me so much. Whatever! I thought to myself. I turned around and stormed out of the place.

It had been three days since I had seen Taylor. I had tried texting her on my new cheap phone but she hadn't answered. I was still annoyed my other phone was left in a strangers car. It was a good phone, one I had saved for, for so long. Plus I had some good photos on there that were gone. Kinda annoying.

I was waiting at my locker when I saw her approach. 'TAYLOR!' I called out. She stopped and gave me a sheepish smile. 'Hey.' She said.
'Where have you been?' She didn't answer right away. She was wearing a cap that said NY on it in gold letters. It was covering a bit of her face.
'You okay?' I asked. I had never seen her wear a hat before. 'Yeah! I was ahh...playing soccer with a friend and got injured. Stayed home to heal.' She said. I pulled the cap away a bit. 'Holy Shit!' I said.
A big fat bruise covered her left eye and cheek bone. 'You did that playing soccer?'
'Yeah!' She insisted. My gut feeling was telling me something was wrong but I ignored it. I was taking her word. Taylor has tried to cover it up with some makeup but it wasn't really working.
'What did your brothers say when they saw it?' I said smiling, still in shock.
'They Don't know!'
'What? How?'
'I didn't tell them. They left for work before I left for school. And Gabriel has been going with his mates lately so I drive. Plus it would only cause drama.' I looked back at her bruise. Now I definitely knew something was up.