Part 4: You Told Me You Loved Me, So Why Did You Go Away

A/N: So yeah I don't really know if I like this chapter but it sets up some good things so hey that's always good right?

thatgoodgirl-faith :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karlie

            “Okay, this sushi is SO good Tay! I’ve never heard of this little restaurant before!” I exclaimed. We were sitting in her living room mowing down on our huge sushi plates we had ordered from a little corner restaurant on what was most likely the smallest street in the whole city.

“I know right? If I hadn’t have gotten lost while walking around one day I would have NEVER known that it even existed, but it’s the best sushi in New York!” Taylor said as she finished up the last bit of her meal. “Hey, you know that its almost five o’clock right? What time did you say you and Josh are meeting up?” She asked.

“Oh my God!” I gasped. I was supposed to meet him at his place in Manhattan at 6:30. “Shit—fuck. I’m so sorry Taylor, I’ve got to get going,” I said hurriedly as I packed up the last of my sushi and tucked it in my bag. There was no way I would make it on time. “I’ll call you okay? We have to hang out again soon Tay. I mean it! And thank you for everything this weekend, by the way!” I smiled and reached out to give her a hug.

“Are you kidding Karls? Thanks so much for hanging out with me. I had a great time!” I felt a small jolt and my eyes widened in shock as she gave me a quick peck on the cheek. I quickly hid my surprised face before we pulled away from the hug. I had never been that way with any of my other girl friends, but it was a nice gesture.

“Okay, bye Taylor!” I said as I hurried out the door. I couldn’t wait to see her again.

Once I got onto the street my driver picked me up hastily and we were on our way. I decided I should call Josh since I was going to be late. He picked up after two rings, like always, “Hey, how are you? I can’t wait to see you tonight.” I could tell he was smiling through the phone. We hadn’t seen each other in almost two months, since work had gotten in the way almost every time we tried to schedule something.

“Hi, Josh? I’m so sorry but I’ll probably be about twenty minutes late; you know how traffic is,” I said. I wasn’t lying—entirely. If traffic didn’t exist in New York I would be able to make it to Manhattan in no time, but you know how things are.

“Oh yeah, that’s alright, don’t worry about it. I’ll see you when you get here. I love you, bye.” I returned the ‘I love you, bye’ even though I hadn’t felt that with Josh in God knows how long. With my career as a model and his as an investment banker, we were always busy. A few years back when we first started dating my modeling career was just starting out, so it was easier for me to see him. However, now I got lucky if I saw him once a month. What’s the point? I asked myself. There was no spark anymore; it had burned out forever ago. Whenever we got intimate, it wasn’t because we craved each other’s passion, but rather because we just wanted to satisfy ourselves. It pretty much became a ‘just in it for the sex’ situation and the more I thought about it, the more I wanted it to be over.

            When I arrived at Josh’s penthouse, I was only ten minutes late. I opened the door and scanned the room to see where he was. His penthouse was huge, needless to say. It had a very modern style, with furniture that I had picked out. Also, the entire wall along the far side of his place was a giant glass window, so you could see Manhattan from forty-one floors up. The view never got old I had to admit.

“There’s my girl!” Josh exclaimed as he walked around the corner. He was wearing sweatpants and no shirt, which was what he changed into the second he go home from work.

“Hi baby!” I answered as he grabbed my waist and pulled me in for a hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck in reply.

“I missed you.” He whispered into my ear, then he slowly started to plant little kisses on my neck. It used to drive me wild, but I had grown used to it over the years and it now bothered me. I pulled away and looked in his deep brown eyes, then replied with a coy, “I missed you too.” Just then, he lifted me up on the counter, and stood between my legs. He smiled and said, “Then show me how much you missed me.” His voice was husky and I nearly didn’t recognize it. He pressed his lips on to mine and brought one of his hands up to cup my face. For a brief moment, I thought about just going through with it one last time, and in the morning I would tell him what I had wanted to tell him for so long; how our relationship hit a dead end, and how we fell off the tracks miles back, and we were too far-gone to get back on.

“Josh,” I pulled away from the kiss and managed to gasp his name as I caught my breath. “Um, I don’t think we should do this anymore…” My voice trailed off as I realized how stupid it sounded. We had been together for two years and the best I could get together was ‘I don’t think we should do this anymore’?

“Do what?” Josh asked, clearly puzzled. “Kar, are you breaking up with me?”

“What’s the point Josh? We barely ever see each other any more; we’re just too busy. We fell out of love a long time ago, you know it, and I know it.” The words came out of me like a flood, and I immediately regretted saying it in such a cruel way.

“Baby, what are you talking about?” Josh asked. He backed away from the counter where I sat. “I love you. I know that we’re busy, but we’re adults. We don’t have to see each other every day in order to prove that.” He replied. I could see tears forming in his eyes. I hopped off the counter and started to pick up my purse.

“Josh, I’m really sorry. I do care about you, and that’s why I’m breaking up with you. I don’t want to take up your mind or your life because I don’t feel the same way any more. We’re just too different. I’m sorry.” Now that the tears were streaming down his face, I started crying too. I felt awful about what I had said. I really did. But I had to do what was right for me.

“Baby, don’t go. We can work this out, alright? Please?” he begged and he reached for my hand, but I was already walking out the door.

“Josh, I have to do this,” I sobbed. I knew it was going to end like this but I didn’t think it would hurt as much as it did. “I still care about you. If you need anything, you can call me.” I said as I turned around and walked across the hall and into the elevator.

“Karlie, the only thing I need is you.” He stated. Just as he finished, the elevator doors started to close. Standing in the elevator a sobbing and shaking mess, I kept imagining the look on Josh’s face as the doors closed.

            Although I had just broken up with Josh, I didn’t want to be alone right now. I needed a girl friend, someone who could comfort me and tell me that its alright, that I’m not being a horrible person. I dialed a number on my phone and the person on the receiving end picked up after two rings:

“Hi, Taylor? Its Karlie,” I said through sobs. “Can I come over?”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you guys liked it! I'm going to post another chapter tonight for sure, so just give me an hour or so!