chapter thirty-nine

"Judging by the looks on your faces, i'm guessing you guys didn't find Aang either." I speculated as i dismounted Appa along with Sokka.

We've decided to split up and search for Aang in groups of two, praying he'd just show up and say he had to run an errand. I went with Sokka since Toph demanded it was her turn to have a life changing field trip with my boyfriend. It was hilarious, and i didn't really mind. After all, ever since Zuko joined the group, he's been helping everyone out with their troubles.

"No." Zuko sighed as he sat on the steps along with the rest of the gang, holding out his hand and signalling me to approach him. "It's like he just disappeared."

"I just hope he's in the spirit world and his body is hiding from us somewhere. Unless, someone moved him." I continued to worry as i sat down beside Zuko, wrapping my arm around his tense shoulders.

"Wait a minute!" Toph gathered our attention. "Has anyone noticed that Momo is also missing?"

"Oh, no! I knew it was only a matter of time!" Sokka's eyes widened as he ran towards Appa, using his arms to open the bison's heavy mouth. "Appa ate Momo! I'm coming for you, buddy!"

"Appa didn't eat Momo, he's probably with Aang." I rolled my eyes as Sokka jumped onto Appa's tongue and started crawling deeper into his mouth.

"That's just what Appa wants you to think!" Sokka's voice was muffled as Appa's saliva began to consume him.

"Get out of the bison's mouth, Sokka!" Zuko ordered, disciplining Sokka as if he were a child. I noticed him begin to tense up even more, causing me to start grazing my hand up against his collar bone, hoping somehow my touch would help him relax. "We have a real problem here. Aang is nowhere to be found and the comet is only two days away!"

"What should we do, Zuko?" Katara turned around and gave him puppy dog eyes, the rest of the group staring up at him, hoping for an answer.

"I don't know." Zuko grunted and stood up quickly, my hand falling off of him. He had a look on his face that i knew well, indicating that he's brainstorming for an idea. "Wait, why are you all looking at me?"

"Wow, look at you." My eyes trailed upwards, staring into Zuko's orbs. "The new leader of our group, hey? How does it feel?"

"Hey!" Sokka whined, jealously in his voice. Appa has clearly had enough of him at this point, and spat him out of his mouth.

"Well, you're the expert on tracking Aang." Katara began to explain, returning her attention to Zuko. "If anyone's got experience on hunting the avatar, it's you."

"Alright." Zuko agreed, then bent down and grabbed my hand, pulling me up on my feet. "We're going to the Earth Kingdom."

"Uh, why?"

~

"Azula, listen to me. I need you here to watch our homeland. It's a very important job that i can only entrust you with."

"Really?"

"For your loyalty, i've decided to declare you the new Fire Lord."

"Fire Lord Azula? It does seem appropriate. But, what about you?"

"From this moment on, i am the new ruler of this world. You will address me as, the Phoenix King!"

~

"June." Zuko pointed towards a girl i instantly recognized as we entered a tavern in the middle of the Earth Kingdom.

"June!" I gasped at the sight of the woman taking down intoxicated losers approaching her table. "The girl you befriended and tried to take us down with her help?"