Chapter 8, Matthew's Training and a Death

"Malory." Grey's voice is mean and it has no sympathy whatsoever in it. His grey hair is ragged and scarce on his bald head. "Get Raea." he whispers Raea's name softly, and I wince.

I know this will be one of the last times I will hear Raea's name.

Malory Chamer, my almost identical twin rebel changer walks to Raea's cage. Each cage is placed around a circular stage that the rebels learn from Grey. I guess it's more punishment.

Malory doesn't move. I guess she remembers who Raea is. I wonder what Raea ever did to Malory.

"I said, get Raea!"

My eyes burn with tears. I run to the huge, fist-size steel bars and watch in horror as Malory unlocks Raea's cage.

She drags Raea out in a way that looks impossibly painful.

"Raea!" I call, my tears blurring my vision. "Raea!" I whisper. I clutch the steel bars. "Raea..."

Grey ignores me.

Malory hands Raea to Matthew.

Matthew, who is not as strong as Malory, trembles a little when he carries Raea.

I watch and see Lola, El, and Ceres all leaning against the bars, staring.

Matthew asks Malory to hold Raea up while he grabs a huge knife.

My eyes widen, and I pale.

Raea stiffens. "Please, Matthew! You know who I am! I am your teacher! Your friend! You betrayed us!"

Matthew glares at her. "Shut up!" he roars.

He throws the huge knife at her stomach and we all watch as Raea crumples to the ground.

(A/N: Vote, comment, and follow! Thanks for reading, guys!)