Chapter 23: Learning Curve

Parker didn't listen to me. Or at least, he didn't listen entirely. I thought the plan we had made for Emilio's birthday was more than sufficient. However, the text I received last night said otherwise.

"Hey, so I thought it would be cool to do a little birthday dinner for Emilio at his fav restaurant. So be at the Cotto Enoteca Pizzeria at 5."

I did a quick Google search and the pizzeria was about a ten minute drive from the house. Google estimated an eighteen minute bike ride but I wasn't sure if it was the smartest idea to bike. The weather did call for rain and mom was home. At the end of the day, I'd much prefer to be in a car with her then Parker. Parker wasn't a bad driver or even a careless driver from what I saw. But there were too many situational similarities when I was in his car. It was really hard to get out of my head and focus on anything else but the past. Which is extremely counterintuitive because the whole point of coming to Burnaby heights was for a fresh start.

My phone buzzed once more.

"I can pick you up if you want." Parker said with the smiley emoji.

"Don't worry about it," I replied. His response was immediate.

"DO NOT BIKE. I REPEAT, DO NOT BIKE!" He said with a longer chain of emojis.

I rolled my eyes. There was nothing wrong with biking. He was going to have to overcome his adversity to my biking if we were going to continue this charade.

"I'm doing our planet some good unlike you, but FINE, I won't bike."

"Our planet is forever indebted to you. See you later!"

I placed my phone down and looked at the time. I had thirty minutes to get to school but something inside me begged to stay curled up in bed. Maybe it was my conscience or my gut but even as I pulled myself to a sitting position, something didn't feel right.

I stretched slowly and then took my time to get ready. I pulled my hair out of it's plaits and brushed it into a high bun and then laid my baby hairs. I did my makeup, adding an extra bit of mascara and eyeliner.

I called out my goodbye to mom before I slipped out of the house. I stared at my bike for a long moment, debating Parker's voice in my head. There was nothing wrong with riding a bike, I chided him. Even still, I couldn't shake my weird feeling. I looked up at the sky and sure enough, big puffy grey clouds loomed above, threatening to pour.

I abandoned my bike and headed through the gate. As I did so, I quickly sent mom a text asking for her to pick me up after school. At least that way, I could avoid having to deal with Parker and walking home in the rain.

At school, I kept my head down as I walked to my locker. I picked up my books and then headed for Mr. Archer's class. As I slid into my seat I pulled out my history textbook and got to reading. I had studied for the test but since Mr. Daniels test, I haven't had much confidence in my intellectual abilities. I was reviewing historical dates when I heard someone call out from the back.

"Happy birthday Emilio!"

I looked up just in time to see Emilio walking towards me. He was smiling bashfully at the girl—Sara.

"Thanks!" Emilio replied as he sat down next to me.

I leaned over. "You're extra popular today and I can't seem to figure out why."

He smirked. "I'm trying a new hair gel."

I chuckled. "It suits you. But so I'm not the last one...Happy Birthday!"

He rolled his eyes but his smiled widened. "Not you too!"

I shrugged. "What can I say? I'm just another sheep following the herd."