Chapter 17: Smelly Cat

Layla's house wasn't at all what I expected. Though it was very similar in size to Parker's and Nate's, unlike theirs, her house felt lived in. The coloured walls were decorated in a collage of pictures of Layla and her family. The furniture looked worn in and the kitchen didn't look staged straight out of an Ikea catalogue. Her house was a home.

We were sat in her den, each of us lounging on a separate couch. After the promised hour and a half of studying, we took a break. Layla made about five packets of homemade popcorn served with three tubs of Ben and Jerry's and we munched as the first episode of Friends played on the huge flat screen. Not long after it started, my thoughts began to wander. I tried to keep them tied to the Tv but then I'd think about Nate and how his shirt rode up ever so slightly as he laid back on the couch. Though I was unable to get myself invested in the sitcom, I laughed when appropriate and forced myself to seem engaged. Somehow, I couldn't focus on Rachel's trivial problems when my own were plaguing me. As I shovelled another spoonful of chocolate fudge brownie ice cream into my mouth, my phone buzzed. It was a text from Emilio.

"Hey, just wanted to see how you're doing."

I had nothing against Emilio personally. He'd never been anything but nice to me, but I couldn't shake the feeling that he was only texting to make sure I didn't have cold feet.

"All good!" I replied, with the smiling emoji.

The credits popped up on the screen as I placed my phone down along with the empty tub. Layla turned to me, her expression hopeful.

"Okay so it takes a few episodes for you to really get into it but what do you think thus far?"

I smiled. "I like Joey, he's funny."

"Joey? Hmm, I had you pegged for a Ross kind of girl."

I snuck a glance at Nate who was too busy looking at his phone to participate in the conversation. I shook my head lightly and faced Layla. "Nope, he's too much of a goodie two shoes. Joey seems like more fun."

Layla shrugged. "All the same to me. As long as you keep your tentacles away from the Chan man."

I laughed a raised my right hand. "Scout's honour."

Just then my phone buzzed again. This time it was mom.

"Hey baby,  I'm going to be home in about forty minutes but I ordered us a pizza. It should be there within half an hour."

I bolted from the couch, clutching my phone in my hands. "I have to go," I exclaimed.

"Aww, party pooper. We were just getting started," Layla whined.

I reached for my bag and began putting everything inside. I was about to reach for my notebook when a pale hand picked it up. I looked to see Nate standing before me, that same smirk playing on his lips.

"Thanks," I said as I took the notebook.

Then I zipped up my bag and pulled it onto my shoulder. At the same time, Nate picked up his bag.

"I should head out too," he announced.

I tried not to look too surprised. Rather than replying, I turned to Layla.

"I'll see you later," I said.

She waved a hand dismissively. "Go, be free."

I offered her an apologetic smile.

"Later Lays," Nate said as we left the room.

We walked to the front of the house in silence. Once we'd reached the foyer, I bent down and slipped on my loafers. I kept my eyes down, not wanting to get distracted.