Chapter 11: Somewhere Only We Know

It was dark. I was laying face down, my body twisted and splayed out uncomfortably . I tried to move my limbs but it was as if they'd been disconnected and weighted down by cinder blocks. I shifted my head so that my right cheek was pressed into the ground.

"Hello?" I called out.

The only response I received was prolonged silence.

"HELLO?"

My voice sounded strange. Like I was hearing it for the first time through someone else's ears.

"Please help me," I called out.

As those words slipped past my lips, a violent shiver ran down the length of spine. Suddenly, the darkness dissipated. In it's place, a vast brightness, so blinding, my eyes watered.

"Oh God, you feel so good," I heard a woman's voice moan.

As the brightness subsided, I blinked the situation in front of me into view. I was in Tristan's bedroom, laying in the doorjamb. On his bed, he sat next to my former best friend, Jada. Well not next to but rather on top. She was straddling his lap as they made out. I watched on as Tristan's fingers roamed her body, not unlike the way they did mine.

She moaned loudly as his hands cupped her boobs. I forced my eyes shut and my jaw locked, clenching my teeth so tightly they felt like they would shatter.

I needed to get out of here. I couldn't bear to lay here watching them betray me. I forced my limbs to comply and bit by bit, I pulled myself up. When I got to my feet, I leaned heavily against the door frame. I was breathing heavily from the exertion but they didn't seem able to hear me.

"Do you want to?" Tristan asked.

I knew what he meant. He'd ask me that many times. I'd only said yes twice. And I regretted it.

She shook her head, a sultry smile forming on her lips. "You'd like that wouldn't you?"

He let out  a few notes of laughter I'd heard so many times before that for a second I forgot it wasn't directed to me.

"Don't play. I know you want some of this," he said with an exaggerated lip bite.

She took him by the cheeks and planted another kiss. That was it. I wouldn't stand for this a second longer. I pulled myself off the door jamb and turned around, ready for this nightmare to be over.

"Hey!"

That caught my attention. Jada's voice was too loud for her to be talking to Tristan. Despite my better judgement, I turned back around. When did, the scene had changed. Gone was Tristian, and on the bed Jada sat in a black satin dress that reached past her knees. Her hair was pinned up in a high ponytail and she wore very little makeup. In her hand, a single red rose. This was her outfit for Tristan's funeral.

"You think you can get away with what you did?" She asked, her voice low and laced with venom.

I shook my head in disbelief. She had no right to accuse me. But it was like my lips had been glue shut. Suddenly, I'd gone mute.

She let out a humourless laugh. "You think you can move on while the rest of us still suffer?"

My whole body shook. My voice clawed at my lips, begging for release.

"You never deserved him. He was so much better than you. He had a future. You took that away."

My cheeks soaked with tears of frustration and pain. How dare she? How dare she?