Chapter 16: I Of The Storm

He walked into class with a pensive expression accompanied by a leaned back, leisurely stance. His hands stuffed into the pockets of his grey khakis uniform pants. His dark hair swayed lightly with every step. He glided into the seat in front of me and then turned around and flashed an easy smile.

"Good morning," he said to me, his grey eyes gleaming.

"Good morning," I replied while my stomach did back flips.

"What the hell's got you two so cherry?" Layla groaned.

I looked over at her and couldn't wipe the smile from my face. "Nothing, it's just a good morning."

She rolled her eyes and took a sip from her coffee. This morning was an iced Americano from Starbucks.

"Whatever, but keep your jollies to yourself. I want stew in my irritation today," she said.

I looked at her through curious eyes. "What's got you so bent?"

She sighed dramatically. "I can't get into it," she replied.

"O....kay?"

She shrugged. "All I'm saying is that life is a bitch."

Nate nodded. "Agreed."

I looked back and forth between them. "You two need some anti-depressants."

"Been there, done that. They just make me more moody. By the way, I spoke to Kelly. She said that the only time you can do your hours is in the morning because she already has Stacey helping out in the afternoon."

I nodded. "It's cool, I asked Parker and he said he would help me out. Plus I enjoy having my mornings free to you know, sleep."

That seemed to catch Nate's attention. "Parker's helping you get your hours?"

I nodded again. "He and Emilio said they could hook me up."

Nate's face grew serious. Without a word, he turned in his seat and faced the front. I wanted to question him but Mr. Daniels cleared his throat. "Good morning class," he began.

The class quieted down as Mr. Daniels launched into his lecture. I tried my best to pay attention and take detailed notes but my mind kept wandering to Nate. I could barely concentrate, what with him sitting only a foot away. If I wanted I could just get up, lean forward, wrap my arms around his broad shoulders and plant a kiss on his soft, luscious lips—

"And so I hope you are ready students because next class is your first evaluation. This test will be worth fifteen percent of your final grade. If you plan to go to post secondary after you graduate, I would highly suggest studying."

My thoughts snapped to what Mr. Daniels was saying. I could see the expressions of my classmates, everyone looked equally nervous except for Layla, who looked ready to pull the trigger. Next class was bound to be a bummer. So much, for a good morning.

***

"I can't believe Daniels is being such a dick!" Layla exclaimed.

I shrugged as I bite into my ham and cheese sandwich. "Is it all that shocking really?"

She shook her head vehemently, causing some of the popcorn in her ziplock to fall. "Of course not, but still! I think we should get him arrested so that we don't have to do the test."

I snickered and Nate nodded. "I'm with you Lays, but a guy like Daniels had a record cleaner than Monica's apartment."

Layla slapped her knee un-ironically. "That was actually pretty good," she replied.