Chapter One

Chapter One

 The journey in the car was long, obviously, I thought we would never get there, we just kept driving and driving, my mum had tried to start conversation but at that moment I was not bothered, I put my i-phone headphones in and blocked her out. I didn't yell at her, I didn't refuse to leave, but I was still angry and I just could not be bothered to be civil.

    We city limits began to thin and soon all we passed were small travel lodges or B&B's, and acres of farmland bursting with sheep and pigs, sometimes the odd cow could be seen. It was pretty, but come on, it was boring, where was the life? Where was the buzz? I liked living in London, it was full of zest, activity and you weren't bothered by anyone.

    We soon passed a sign saying Lon-stone, I paused the song I was listening to, one by Nick Cave, one of my favourite authors and artists. 'Is this the place?'I asked half recognising the name, from what she might have told me in the daze of moving.

    'Yes, our house is just over that Hill' I looked to where she was motioning. I felt my eyes widening, A HILL, that was no hill that was a mountain, compared to what I was used to in London, what on earth was she playing at?!

   'HILL?!'

   'Don't be so dramatic hun' She said laughing at me and looking at me warmly. There were more houses than I had anticipated, and it was breathtakingly beautiful, it was close to the seaside, and the bright blue sky, nearly molded into the bright blue sea, and was an amazing contrast to the dark green grass. This place had life that was different to that of London, but it was different, it was not the same, and although it was magnificent, it wasn't home.

   The houses were painted a magnificent array of colours, each and every house was unique, it in my area of London all the houses were the same dull colours, your average grey and brick red. Here the houses were painted dark blues, sea green, bright red, dark brown and some were even an ominous black. It was weirdly wonderful. We went over the 'hill' if you could call it that, and pulled up in front of an indigo house, with a black door and a deep red door frame, it was the only house where everything wasn't the same colour, and I loved it for the fact that it stood out. It was an average size and looked like an old fashioned Tudor house, apart from the obvious colour difference. I fell in love.

    'It's lovely mum' I exclaimed beaming at her, I jumped out of the car and ran to the front door, the removal company came the day before with mum's assistant and sorted the furniture out beforehand, so all we needed to do was unpack out personal boxes. I heard my mum moving a little slower in front of me and unlocked the door. I felt like a stranger in my own house, but also as if I belonged, as if I was always meant to be here. It was a peculiar feeling.

    The wall were a deep indigo, and the skirting boards were a jet black, the interior of the house matched the exterior for colour. They were lovely colours.

   I walked upstairs and checked out the rooms, my mum had given me the largest, or so she told me. I opened the first door on the long landing, it was a good sized bathroom with a corner bath and seperate shower, it was lovely the bathroom had black tiling with silver taps and plugs. I closed the door and moved onto the second, there turned out to be four rooms, my room was a deep red with black skirting boards and indigo bed covers and curtains.

   I went to the mirror and examined my reflection, I looked tired, my black hair was dull and flat and was in serious need of conditioner and my normally vibrant grey/blue eyes and lost their lustre. I needed sleep. I started college tomorrow, and I don't care what anyone says, you don't start your first day of college looking like a dog, teenagers are pirhanas, girls are bitches and so are guys.

  I went into the bathroom and started the shower, I sighed as I stood under the water, the drops beating down at my tired skin, I could feel the hot water begin to work its magic, relaxing me and soothing my tired muscles. I needed a walk, usually when I was upset I went on long walks, well as long a walk as you could take in London without getting harassed.