[18. Stefan's On Edge]

Start from the beginning

"There you are!" she was practically attacked by Caroline. "I'm a Miss Mystic Falls nominee!"

"I know, Care," Lucy laughed; she missed Caroline when she went to visit her dad a couple hours away. "I gave the nominee list to the principal."

"Oh, my God, I forgot!" Caroline gasped excitedly, both of them walking down the hall. "You're the student ambassador. Does that mean you'll vote for me?"

"I don't get a vote," she reminded her best friend. "And even if I did, I wouldn't vote at all. Not when you and Elena are competing against each other."

"But you'd vote for me, right?"

Lucy winked at her. "Of course."

They found Bonnie and Elena outside in the courtyard, talking together. Caroline beamed at the sight of their best friend and ran toward her, calling her name frantically.

"Bonnie! Bonnie!" Caroline wrapped Bonnie up into a hug as Lucy came to stand next to her sister. "Thank God you're home!" she pulled away and smiled at the witch. "I know we talked everyday but I missed you."

Lucy knew Caroline and Bonnie talked everyday and it kind of hurt that Bonnie only messaged her a couple of times, but she understood Bonnie's reasons.

"How are you doing, Bon?" Lucy asked, giving Bonnie a smile.

"Better," Bonnie nodded with a small smile. "Just better. You know, glad to be back and trying to keep myself busy."

"Well, I can help with that," Caroline grinned widely. "Major wardrobe confab needed A.S.A.P.. You and Lucy need to help me pick the perfect dress for the Founder's Court."

"Oh!" Bonnie giggled, impressed.

"The Founder's Court?" Elena spoke up, looking at Lucy, Caroline, and Bonnie. "Did I miss something?"

"The Founder's Court. You know, Miss Mystic Falls?" Lucy reminded her, slightly annoyed that her sister didn't listen to the things she told her. "I've been talking about it for more than a month."

Elena gained a look of recognition.

"They just announced it today," Caroline added. "You and I are both on it."

"Oh, my God. We signed up for this so long ago," Elena sighed, shaking her head. "I completely forgot."

Caroline laughed breathlessly and casually asked, "So, are you dropping out, then?"

Elena slowly shook her head and exchanged a sad look with Lucy. "I can't."

"No?"

"Our mom wanted her to enter," Lucy told Caroline softly.

Caroline hummed and nodded in understanding, wrapping an arm around Lucy's shoulders and squeezing tightly.

-

"Honor your partner," Mrs. Lockwood instructed the girls nominated for Miss Mystic Falls and their escorts. Lined up and facing each other, each nominee curtsied while their partners bowed. "Let's focus. Music, please, Lucy."

The nominees and their escorts had to perform a traditional dance after they were announced at the pageant, so they needed to practice. Mrs. Lockwood was the expert on the counsel, having won Miss Mystic when she was a teenager, so she decided to teach the dance herself. Lucy was invited along just to be her silent support and stereo operator.

Lucy pressed play on the stereo Mrs. Lockwood brought to the gym and sent Caroline, who was practicing with Bonnie, a thumbs up. Dainty music filled the air and Mrs. Lockwood started the dance.