She's trying to break you

"Peter?" Edmund asked quietly as the two walked through the woods, squinting in the now rising sun.
"Yeah?" Peter replied.
"What will we do when we reach the castle?" Edmund said.
Peter sighed a little. "We find the witch." He said slowly. "And then you kill her."
Edmund sighed. "I doubt it'll be as easy as that." He mumbled.
"Hmm." Peter hummed quietly. "You'll do it Ed, I know you will."
"No you don't." Edmund choked. "For all you know, this time three days I could be dead!"
"Don't say that Ed." Peter said firmly.
"What if neither of us can kill the other." Edmund said. "I'll still die!"
"Edmund you're not going to die." Peter said as he stopped walking and knelt in front of his brother."I-"
"Don't you dare!" Edmund said quickly. "Don't you dare say "I Promise" Peter, because this is one promise that you might not be able to keep."
Peter shook his head. "This is one promise I can keep Edmund." He said. "Because if she tries to kill you then I'll step in to help you, alright?"
Edmund sighed. "But I still have to kill her." He said quietly.
"I know Ed." Peter sighed. "And you'll never do it if you don't have faith in yourself."
Edmund bit his lip and looked down at the ground, tears appearing in his eyes. "I can't do this." He choked.
Peter sighed sadly. "Don't say that." He whispered.
Edmund sunk to his knees in front of his brother and wrapped his arms around his neck, buring his face into his shoulder. "But it's true." He mumbled. "It's too much."
Peter took a deep breath. "Look." He said, placing a hand gently on the back of Edmund's head. "This is exactly how Jadis wants you to feel."
Edmund sighed and slowly looked up at Peter.
"She wants you to feel like you can't do this, that you're not strong enough. That you're weak." Peter said. "She's trying to break you Ed."
Edmund's eyes showed nothing but fear. "And it's working." He choked.
"Working Edmund." Peter said. "It hasn't worked yet. She hasn't broken you, so don't let her."
Edmund shook his head. "I might as well just let her kill me now, she's gonna do it sooner or later." He whispered.
Peter sighed. "She's not going to kill you Ed." He said. "Look, you have been so strong this past month. You've gone through things no one your age should have to go through, you've seen things no one should ever have to see, felt pain that no one should ever have to feel. And yet you're still standing. You're stronger than you think you are Ed."
Edmund bit his lip. "I wish she'd just leave me alone." He mumbled.
"Me too." Peter sighed. "But she's obviously not going to so you have to get rid of her."
"I don't know if I can though." Edmund said quietly.
"There's only one way to find out." Peter said with a small shrug.
Edmund stared at his brother, tears stinging his eyes as he sniffed.
Peter sighed sadly. "Just let it out." He whispered as he pulled Edmund into a hug, which his brother gladly returned.
Edmund didn't need telling twice. Buring his face into Peter's chest he started crying, wrapping his arms tightly around him.
"It's okay." Peter whispered, his hand on the back of Edmund's head as he whispered reassuringly in his ear.
After a long while Edmund slowly pulled away, wiping the tears from his eyes and staring at his brother. "Sorry." He choked.
Peter shook his head. "You don't need to apologise Ed." He said softly.
Edmund nodded a little.
"What do you say we carry on?" Peter said.
"Sure." Edmund replied, getting to his feet followed by Peter.
Peter smiled and wrapped an arm around Edmund's shoulder before the two continued walking.

☆☆☆

"Let's stop here for the night." Peter said. They'd been walking all day, with only a few short breaks, and Peter could see that Edmund was struggling.
"Yeah." Edmund breathed and immediately sat down against a tree.
"I'll find some wood to build or fire." Peter said. "Or some sticks or something."
Edmund nodded. "I'll help." He offered.
"Oh no you don't." Peter said, practically forcing him back down when he went to stand. "You need to rest."
Edmund sighed but gave in anyway, allowing Peter to gather up some sticks.
It took him a while to find enough but he got there eventually. He walked back to Edmund only to find him fast asleep against the tree.
Peter sighed sadly, staring at the peaceful expression on his brothers face.
He sighed again, starting about making the fire before it was too dark to see. It took him longer than he expected to light it and by the time he had it was already pitch black.
Standing up again he walked the short distance over to his brother and sat beside him, pulling his into his arms.
Edmund sighed slightly. "Night Pete." He mumbled sleepily.
Peter smiled a little. "Night Ed." He whispered back.
After a while Edmund lay down flat on the floor, moving away from the tree and slightly closer to the fire.
"Ed?" Peter questioned.
Edmund's eyes opened slightly and he looked back at his brother. "I'm cold." He whispered.
Peter sighed and moved to lay beside him, pulling him into a hug and rubbing his hand up and down his arm in an attempt to warm him up a bit.
Edmund wrapped his arms around Peter's waist and rested his head on his chest, his eyes closing again.
"We should get there by tomorrow afternoon." Peter said hesitantly.
Edmund went stiff in Peter's arms for a few moments before he slowly nodded. "Yeah." He choked.
"And it's three days til your birthday." Peter added.
Edmund only nodded but said nothing and just tried to get closer to Peter, letting out a shiver.
Peter tightened his grip around Edmund and kissed the top of his head. "Sleep tight." He whispered. "Love you."
"Love you too Pete."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆
😧❤❤❤❤❤😧