Chapter Nine : Late Night Facetime

Start from the beginning

"I can't even deny it. Don't get me wrong, you're attractive either way but when you got all dressed up I couldn't believe it was you."

It sounded pretty offensive but I knew he had good intentions, "I appreciate your compliment." I reply, hiding a smile behind my blanket. This bubbly feeling came to my stomach and my cheeks grew warmer when I realized he was still looking at me.

"What?"

He laughs before turning over onto his stomach, "I dunno, you're just so... proper? I guess."

I raise my eyebrow at him before uncovering my face to get away from the heat that continued to circulate, "I'm having a difficult time understanding if you're giving me compliments or not." I giggle. The way it sounded in my head immediately made me mentally shudder and cringe.

"I'm just confused a little. If i'm pushing boundaries, just let me know. But, you've already proven that you're smarter than most of the people in the vlog squad, why aren't you in a career?" It took him a while to ask the question itself and it seemed as if he really wanted to make sure to not say anything that would be off putting.

But the answer wasn't so simple. I could always say, it's because I couldn't afford college. Then it would raise question about how i'm managing to live in LA. Or why I didn't just take out loans. The only people who knew about my life back home was Donavon and Audrey, which I planned to keep it that way.

The thought of my past alone brought tears to my eyes but I snap out of the trance when Jeff asks me if I was okay. "My dad is sick and I'm the oldest of five which means I bear most of the responsibility to help with the monetary needs for my family." I tell him. He slowly nods his head before the door to the room he was in opens, "Jeff! The fuck are you doing, we're tryna go out man." The voice screams at him who I recognize to be Ilya.

Then I remembered that they were all in Miami. How I wish I could go but work is my life now. Another voice speaks and I immediately knew it was David, "Who are you talking to?"

In the next three seconds, the two boys pop their head into the camera frame. "We miss you!" David beams while pushing himself further into the frame. "I saw you two days ago."

"Man, why didn't you bring her on this trip? You wouldn't had to have looked for me if I knew Miella came." Ilya sighs before looking at the phone. Jeff just smiles, breaking eye contact with me. "Next time we go on a trip, you're not going after that shit you pulled." David laughs.

As much as I'd love to go, I couldn't afford it. It was hard enough for me to buy a plane ticket back home which was a small town to begin with, I can't even imagine traveling to Miami.

"Okay, we gotta go Jeff. Be out in five minutes." David says as he leaves alongside with Ilya. He looks at me apologetically before speaking up for the first time in 15 minutes, "I'm sorry about them. I really wish I could stay and talk but I gotta go."

"Its okay, no need to apologize." I smile at him.

"I'll text you, okay?"

"Let's hope I don't fall asleep on you." The corner of his lips curve into a smirk

"Night Ellie."

"Goodnight Jeff, be careful and stay safe."

There was a wave of sadness when the call ended. Maybe it was because I just enjoyed talking to someone new. But with Jeff, it was like I was taking a risk every time I decided to reconnect with him. Who knows if he'll even talk to me again tomorrow. I look at my phone to see numerous notifications from multiple people.

——————

Todd
thank you for checking up on me miella, i hope jeff isn't acting like a dick anymore. i miss and can't wait to see you beautiful ❤️

——————

oh my god they were roommates 🥵

Donny
We'll be home around midnight Mia, no need to wait up for us.

Audrey
I wish you came love, sick and tired of him already 🙃🙃

Zenica
This date sucks, I shoulda just went to the damn concert with you two

—————

Jeff

Really regret my decisions of not staying and talking to you instead

But get some rest. I'll talk to you in the morning beautiful 😘

—————

1443 words