Chapter Seventeen

The grin that my brother wears annoys me. Did he really follow us all the way here? It seemed like he was taking what our father said seriously. I narrow my eyes at him. "Why are you here?"

"To watch you. Why else? You'll soon end up needing my help." I scoff at his tone. He spoke as if he knew the future for certain.

"Who is it?" My mum calls out and I look at Adonis in panic. Even though the relationship between my mother and father was long over and done with, it didn't seem right to show her that my father had moved on and fathered other children.

Adonis steps in front of her as she comes out of the room, but she had already seen Lukas. I racked my brain, thinking of an excuse. I could just pretend that he was a friend of Adonis? Although, I wasn't sure Adonis would be happy about it. It seemed like Lukas had created a permanent grudge when he mentioned that I couldn't be mates with Adonis.

My mum peeks around Adonis and takes another look at the guest. I can see her face fall, the blood rushing out of her face. She looked as if she had just seen a ghost. Then again, vampires weren't very far off from ghosts. If ghosts existed, then they'd probably get along with vampires. Both creepy and alive at night.

"Lukas?" She almost stutters the name out. I look at her in disbelief, my eyes widening at what she had just said. What? She knew about Lukas.

Adonis steps aside and she moves forward to come closer to him. "It is you." How did she know about Lukas?

I look at Lukas to see if he knew my mother, but he doesn't say anything in reply, looking equally surprised.

"We only met once but you look exactly the same as you did thirty years ago." My brain almost skips past her words completely.

Hold on a second.

I process what she said again. Thirty years ago? Does this mean that he was older than me? But he definitely looked younger. Wow, this really sucked. Other than the fact that I couldn't play the age card, my brother was probably way older than I was, considering the fact that he looked the same thirty years ago.

"You looked the same thirty years ago?" I repeat the words my mum used, talking to Lukas.

"Of course. Vampires live for centuries and we rarely age." He grins at me again, which is still as annoying as the first time he did that. "You're probably Eva's mother. It's a pleasure to meet you." He puts his hand out for my mum to shake and I'm shocked once again.

"So you do know how to be polite." I retort, wondering where his manners went when Adonis had finally accepted me as his mate.

"Eva, that's no way to talk to a guest." When my mother is not looking, Lukas sticks his tongue out at me.

My mouth drops open.

"I think we should take our leave." Adonis interrupts.

"Yes, he's right." I glare at Lukas, but he just holds my stare. He looks at me as if he's making fun of me.

"Can't you stay for longer?"

"We just came back from a long trip and there's a lot of things I have to oversee at the packhouse. You're always welcome to visit and we'll come here too." Adonis replies to her. I'm still having a staring contest with Lukas. Neither of us had blinked yet.

I was concentrating so hard, my eyes beginning to water that I don't realise that Adonis had moved next to me. I only notice his presence when he wraps a hand around my waist. The warmth from his hand warms my body, more than it already was. I almost blink from the distraction.

"Eva." His voice is low, endearing and very alluring. I break the stare to look at my mate. His green-hazel eyes stare right into mine and in one single moment, I forget my annoyance and the staring contest I was just having with Lukas.