The Tune Behind The Words

"I have something to play for you."

Will looked up from his book to see Jem casually leaning against his doorframe. "Something to play for me? What is it?"

"Well, if I told you, that would spoil all the fun," Jem said with a smile as he crossed the room to Will. Will stood and pulled him close, wrapping his arms around Jem's slender frame.

"Won't you give me a hint?" Will asked, tracing one finger teasingly over Jem's lips and feeling them curve into a gentle smile. He sat back down into his chair, pulling Jem down onto his lap. Jem blushed but otherwise maintained his composure.

"No, you'll have to see for yourself. Come, I'll play it for you," he said, kissing Will on the nose and standing gracefully.

Will rose obediently from his chair to follow Jem down the hall to his room.

Or, more accurately, to his violin.

"James, if you are expecting me to be able to recognize whatever piece you play, you will be disappointed. While I'm sure you played it perfectly," he said with a wink, watching the faint blush appear again on Jem's face, "I can't tell... anything from... anything else."

Jem simply gave a mysterious smile. "Oh, I think you'll recognize this one."

"I doubt it," Will said, flopping dramatically onto Jem's bed. Jem gave him the mysterious smile again and crossed to the windowsill, gently pulling his violin from its case.

"I think you will, but if you don't, I will tell you afterwards," Jem said, and with that, he began to play.

At first, Will had no clue what it was. It was a bright, happy melody, filling the room with light notes that somehow hinted at something... darker. He'd never heard this piece before, not even in practice, so he was completely in the dark.

Will was nearly ready to open his mouth and give up trying to identify it when he saw Jem mumbling something under his breath- phrases that danced on the tip of Will's tongue with recognition until they flew from his mouth, unbidden.

"Demon pox, oh demon pox, just how is it acquired?
One must go down to the bad part of town
'Til one is very tired
Demon pox, oh demon pox, I've had it all along
No, not the pox, you foolish blocks, I mean this very song
For I was right and you were wrong!"

Jem burst out laughing and set his violin back in the case. "I told you you would know it."

"That... That was the tune! For my demon pox song!" Will exclaimed. Jem sat beside him on the bed, smiling.

"Indeed it was. You had the lyrics, so I thought why not provide the music." Jem's eyes sparkled happily when Will wrapped his arms around him.

"You took all that time to write it? For me?" Will asked, wonderstruck.

"Yes," Jem said simply.

"Why?"

"Because I love you and I thought it might make you smile."

Will pulled Jem closer to him and kissed him slowly and gently, lips curved into a pleased smile. "That it did."

"Then I have succeeded," Jem said contentedly, leaning his head on Will's shoulder. Will blushed faintly, almost too faintly to see, and dropped a featherlight kiss to Jem's head.

"How do you do it, James?" Will asked in a low voice, carding his fingers through Jem's hair.

"Do what?"

"You always know just what will make me smile, or when I need you to distract me from my own thoughts, or what I need to hear at that moment... Even if I don't always know the same for you. How do you do it?"

Will could hear the smile in Jem's voice. "Simply because I see the part of you no one else does. They all see you as a star, one who outshines everything around him, but I see you when you are just... You. Just William Herondale. That's how I know."

Will shook his head. "Not you. I don't outshine you."

Jem laughed quietly. "Oh, you outshine me especially. But I don't care. I'm quite content to be the dimmer star, the tune behind your words."