Love(rs) at First Sight (Prompt 5)

Jem wasn't entirely sure why he was here. He didn't like to drink, and a loud bar overflowing with people was not exactly his scene. And yet here he was, regretting his decision to let Tessa drag him here.

Just as he thought this, a certain brunette appeared at his elbow.

"Jeeeeeem," she complained.

"Tessaaaa," he replied, giving her a bored look and raising an eyebrow.

"You came because you were supposed to get out of the house," she said, punching his arm lightly.

"Given that I am here instead of on my own couch playing my violin, I'd say that worked."

"You haven't been leaving the house or talking to anyone since you and what's-his-name... Sebastian broke it off," she plowed on, ignoring his flinch and obvious discomfort.

"We didn't 'break it off'. I got bad news from the doctor and that ass dumped me because it was too much for him to handle," Jem corrected bitterly.

"Exactly! He's a prick anyways. I never liked him. I knew you could do better. He drank too much and didn't say 'I love you' enough. Plus, he came to about two of your performances in two and a half years." Tessa was smiling brightly again, clearly pleased with herself for dragging him here.

"So what am I supposed to do here?"

"Buy someone a drink, or let someone buy you a drink. Flirt a little. Get a cute person's number."

Jem shivered. "I don't do... Flirting."

"You've had a long-term boyfriend and two summer flings over the course of your life, Jem, how are you still this awkward?"

"We've been friends for six years, why are you still surprised?"

She laughed. "No more moping, Carstairs. Time to get back out there." With that, she went back to wherever she'd been before, leaving Jem alone with his thoughts.

Just as he contemplated leaving and calling a cab home, a woman- a girl, really, she looked like she had to have used a fake I.D. to get in- leaned on the bar, directly beside him.

She was very lovely, with pale blonde hair she kept tossing over her shoulder and clear green eyes. The dress she had on was deep red, hugging every curve and stopping at mid-thigh. The neckline also left very little to the imagination, and she seemed to be pleased with the stares she was attracting from all over the room.

There was no denying that she was quite beautiful, but she was eyeing Jem as if she wanted to devour him, and Jem was not interested.

'Please don't say anything, please please don't say anything....'

"So," she drawled in a voice like velvet, "What's a guy like you doing here alone?"

Damn.

Tessa owed him the biggest apology ever.

Jem turned slightly to face her. "Just enjoying a night out," Jem lied. "You?"

"Looking for someone to help make my night a little less lonely," she said, leaning a little closer and looking up at Jem through thick eyelashes. "A girl's got to have some company, you know."

Jem tried to lean backwards as subtly as possible. "I'm sure you'll have no problem finding said company." He was trying very hard to still be polite but convey his disinterest.

Apparently, she didn't get the hint, because she leaned in again, practically pressing herself against him as another song started to play. "My name's Camille. What's yours?" she asked, one hand wrapping around his wrist.