Procrastination at Its Finest (Prompt 34)

Will sighed contentedly and thought he could stay like this forever. Jem, who had been talking excitedly about the score of a movie they'd just seen, had fallen asleep with his head in Will's lap, and they were both snuggled under a thick blanket on their worn couch. The apartment was cozy and warm despite the wind and rain outside. They'd ordered takeout since it was Friday (and neither wanted to cook), and Will felt full and lazy and content.

That is, until Magnus decided to ruin the domestic moment by calling him.

Will picked up quickly, shifting so his back was against the arm of the couch with Jem between his legs and pillowed on his chest.

"Hey, Mags, what's up?"

"I just wondered what the plan was for tomorrow!" Magnus exclaimed. "What are we doing?"

Will was at a loss. "Um... Tomorrow?"

"Yes, tomorrow!"

There was a long pause, and then Magnus gasped dramatically.

"William Herondale. Tell me you did not forget what tomorrow is."

Thoroughly confused, Will shrugged before remembering Magnus couldn't see him. "What's tomorrow?"

"It's Jem's twenty-fourth birthday, you dolt!"

Will swore under his breath, suddenly very aware of the warm weight against his chest. "Shit. Is it tomorrow? Damn, I thought it was next month."

"He's been your boyfriend since high school, asshole."

"I know! And I've always remembered before, I don't why it snuck up on me this year." Will shook his head with a sigh. He had approximately two hours before it was technically Jem's birthday.

God bless the fact that James Carstairs was not a morning person.

"Well, you can't ignore this one. It's a big deal!"

"What's a big deal about being twenty-four?" Will was getting more and more confused every time Magnus opened his mouth.

Magnus sighed, and Will could practically see him raking ring-studded fingers through his hair in disappointment. "Think back to when we went to the doctor with Jem a couple years ago. When he was rediagnosed? Remember what they told us?"

Will felt his heart sink. "They told us he probably would never make it to his twenty-fourth birthday."

"See, you do have a brain behind that pretty face of yours. Yes, Herondale. Your boyfriend is kicking the ass of a disease that doctors don't even fully understand and looking fine as hell while doing it, so we are damn well gonna celebrate him tomorrow! We need a plan! And you need to get a gift!"

It was no use arguing when Magnus spoke in exclamation points.

"What can I do this late? He's asleep on me on the couch, and everything is closed."

Will could hear the smirk in Magnus's voice. "Not if you know where to look. New York never sleeps."

"We live in London!"

"Irrelevant!"

"I don't understand you."

"Well, come misunderstand me at my apartment so we can make a last minute plan since I'm apparently a better boyfriend to your boyfriend than you are."

"Hands off, Bane."

"Then up your game, Herondale," Magnus fired back with a laugh. "You better be here in ten minutes."

And with that, Magnus (ever the dramatic one) hung up.

Will tosses his phone onto the side table and sighed, running a hand through his hair. How could he have forgotten Jem's birthday? He never forgot birthdays or holidays or anniversaries. Especially this one, of all birthdays...