Something To Believe In (Prompt 44)

Will, utterly frustrated with his younger sister Cecily, sat in the marked seat at the theater, huffing in annoyance.

"Oh, come on, Will, stop being such a downer. This is supposed to be, like, one of the greatest musicals ever! Tessa couldn't stop raving about it," Cecily said happily, practically bouncing in her seat with excitement.

"I," Will said decidedly, "do not want to be here. I don't see the point in wasting two and a half hours here, plus driving time since you were too giggly to drive in a straight line."

"I was not!"

"You most certainly were."

Just as Cecily opened her mouth to retort, the lights dimmed and she smacked Will's arm. "Shhhh! It's starting!"

"Ow," he whisper-yelled. "You brat."

"Shhh!"

Will rolled his eyes and focused his attention on the stage. There were two actors on it, both male, one with a crutch in his hand as he tried to move down the ladder. And the other one finally turned after a moment, his face moving from shadow into light, and-

Oh.

Oh.

He was beautiful. Not just cute or good-looking. Beautiful.

Hair as dark as Will's own, eyes brown, but flecked with what looked like silver under the lights, strong and toned yet slim and willowy frame... Will was so entranced that the dialogue flew over his head until he heard the orchestra begin to play softly. Then this beautiful actor crossed the stage, navigating the set with ease, until he stood center, facing out to the audience and staring at some point over their heads.
Will wasn't sure what was going on, until-

"They say folks is dyin' to get here... Me, I'm dyin' to get away. To a little town out west that's spankin' new..."

He began the slow opening lyrics to the song in a noticeable New York accent. Will couldn't tell if it was real or not, but it was adorable. He listened, letting it wash over him, sweet and slow until his voice picked up power and became a presence, filling the theater with a real longing.

"There's a life that's worth the living, and I'm gonna do my share. Work the land, chase the sun, swim the whole Rio Grande just for fun!"

Will found himself smiling and was grateful for the darkness hiding his face from Cecily. And with that, he found himself lost in the play, eyes tracking the beautiful face and voice of this unknown boy.

And then came a song, "Carrying the Banner", he thought the program said, and they all began to dance.

He had never seen someone dance like that so effortlessly, all the while belting out note after perfect note. Will, a bit embarrassed at how much he resembled a teenage girl at this moment, actually felt chills creep up his arms as he laughed along with the audience at a particularly sarcastic line.
He leaned in and nudged Cecily lightly, who refused to take her eyes off the stage.

"Who's that guy?"

"Which guy? There's like fifteen on stage."

Will was about to say 'the cute one' when said cute one took center stage again and stole the number with another one-liner.

"So I hate the headline, I'll make up a headline, and I'll say anything I hafta, 'cause at two for a penny, if I take too many, Weasel just makes me eat 'em after!" Will's smile broadened at the saucy wink he threw the audience.

"The one that just sang."

"Jack Kelly, he's the leader of the newsies. He's the lead role, I think."