45 | The Happy Ending

Start from the beginning

"I'm fine. I don't want to go through this again. Let's get this over with," I said that but my head is pounding. Alvia is genuinely worried, but I assured her that I am fine. I don't feel like I am, but rather than wasting everyone hard work for the past week, I instead go through with it. Alvia was about to say something, but a knock from the door gained our attention.

"I'm sorry, your highnesses but it's almost time. Now, if you would please follow me towards the throne room." Freida put on the biggest smile I've ever seen. Alvia was as surprised as I am when Freida literally greets us without any curse words as always.

"What is it?" Freida asked when we seem out of place.

"It was nothing. We just appalled by your sudden mood changes. Usually, by now, you would've forced us out of the door already." Alvia pointed out. Freida smiled from ear to ear.

"I'm just happy that it's finally time for the succession. This empire needs its empress, and I'm happy like the rest of the people of Gralia. This shall be the biggest and most view succession the empire has ever seen and host. And not only that, the council made a few special arrangements so that our empire shall receive the attention it deserves. Today is truly the day for Gralia to be exposed worldwide. And it all thanks to you both."

Alvia and I look at each other before facing Freida who's having the time of her life. What did we do? I don't recall doing anything that might spark everyone's interest in us. Alvia gave me a shrug.

"From the looks of your expression, you guys have no idea what is happening?" We both shake our head. What exactly happened?

"For some unknown reason, your love story received a lot of attention once your wedding was air for everyone to see. From the help of the people of Gralia, foreigners were intrigued to know more about your journey towards never-ending happiness. I was quite shocked when there were a few famous producers wish to make your love story as films." Huh? What kind of journey?

If the public knew that our first meeting was at a night club and I was drunk to the point I don't even remember our brief interaction with each other; there is going to be a lot of scandalous rumours from that alone. I can't help but laugh at that fact. It seems like Alvia is thinking the same thing as I am.

"Well, we don't have much time now. Let's wrap this up so Kathryn will have her rest." Alvia offers her hand for me to take. I smiled and took her hand in mine before she leads me out

***

"I present to you, Kathryn Bouvier, empress of Gralia." After the herald announces my name, I face my people while holding the Gralia royal sword of justice with a smile. The sound of celebration echoes inside the throne room and even from the outside. I was surprised when I was told that the council decided to place a massive screen outside the palace and several others across the city so that the people of Gralia can enjoy this day together.

It never crossed my mind that the crown that was placed on top of my head earlier was this heavy. This crown doesn't help my headache at all. I know that Alvia can sense how uncomfortable I am. And because of that, right after the national anthem was sung, she immediately took the sword from me but keep the crown still because the media are taking our pictures.

"Genevieve will be here soon to lead you out from this room. I have called for a medical specialist to take a look at you. And no, I won't take no for an answer. Until I see a legit medical report about you, I won't stop forcing you to see the doctors." I just can't win against her. How many times do I have to tell her that I hate seeing doctors?! They will always find a reason to poke you with their needles!

"I know that look. Don't give me that look just because you're the empress now. I'm not scared of you-" she was taken aback when I raised an eyebrow at her. Alvia tried to avoid eye contact, but I just know which button to press at the right time. It was a good thing that my mother in law is the type of person who blurts everything.