39 | Risks

ALVIA'S POV

What have I done?

Why did I let it happen and it's right under my fucking nose!

I feel so ashamed that I let my own fiancee being kidnapped while I was in the same vicinity! What's the whole point of coming to the reunion if she got kidnapped nevertheless!?

"Alvia, are you listening to me?" Freida waves her hand around in front of me.

"No. I'm not listening. I can't work like this. I can't act as if nothing happened. I need to see my Kathryn again," Freida sigh.

"I understand. But we agreed that no one should know what happened. You need to keep a brave face and act as if nothing happen for the media and also for the face of the throne. We don't want the people to label you as an emperor who can't even keep his wife safe," Freida reason.

"Besides, Genevieve is doing her best to locate the duchess for you. Have faith in her. I think she knows how important the duchess is for this empire's future and also her own," I sigh heavily while pinching the bridge of my nose.

But still, I should be able to do much more than staying inside my office. God knows what they're doing to my fiancee as we speak. But she is right. Nothing will change even if I stay idle without doing anything.

"I know. What were you saying?"

"I was wondering if we should inform the new council members about the kidnapping. Who knows they might have a clue or a way to find the duchess," I shake my head no.

"We don't have to inform them about this. Fewer people know, the better. If there is nothing going on later tonight, I need some time off to myself. I'll finish everything that needs my immediate attention," Freida was against it but it's better this way.

"Fine. But tomorrow you need to work. I'm really sorry but you need to keep your game if you want to see this empire to function. If you decided to be this way until we find the duchess, you failed as a man and also the emperor of this empire," that was harsh of her to say but I know she's only staying the fact.

"Now, if you will excuse me. I have a few dukes and lord from a visiting country to meet. I'm not that evil to let you handle visitors while you're worried sick," I give her a small smile and watches her leave.

As I indulge myself with work, I can't help but think about Kathryn. Are they feeding her? Is she okay? As much as I want to continue to do my work, I just can't. Not when I have someone to care now.

I put down my pen and leans back to my seat. But before I could drown myself with my sorrow, someone knocks on my door.

"Come in," I raised an eyebrow when Genevieve reveals herself.

"I hope there is good news since you're here. Did you found her?" She shakes her head no.

"No, but we received an anonymous tip. And I think we should consider to take it into perspective," an anonymous tip?

"And why?" I asked.

"Because they said that the duchess might've been taken to the resistance headquarters. I think, with all due respect, we need to take them out once and for all. We really reason with them anymore. They've taken things too far," I sigh.

"What if she's not there? That means we initiate a baseless accusation. We can't afford to cause another scandal," Genevieve places both hands on my table.

"But what if she's there? Just remember that every second we take to reconsider, she might be hurting," she's right.

"I know you've been investigating the resistance since you were informed of their existence. You saw what they're capable of. Did you forget about Dolores's duchy? What makes them stop and think like a civilised human being after what they did to her parents?" Genevieve went through so much just to be here.