4 | The Offer

KATHRYN'S POV

Finally, it's the end of my shift and I'm just getting my things ready before walking home. With today's economy and how much I spent the night before, I can't even afford to pay for public transportation. That's another reason why I took an extra shift too.

"Hmm..." sighing won't give me back all the effort and money I've spent. I should just accept the fact that I am broke for the remaining month!

I tied my blonde hair in a messy bun before wearing my normal clothes and kept my uniform inside my bag. I really need to wash this before using it again. Could they really smell the emperor's scent? Do the possessed a hound-like nose?

"Well, I'm out," I announce as I leave the locker room. This is going to be a long journey home. As I step my foot outside Le Stella, a familiar face suddenly appear in front of me with a smile. I bow my head a little when Grand Duchess Annabelle smiled at me.

"Grand Duchess Annabelle, what are you doing here?" She smiled before motioning me to follow her towards her car.

"Please don't be scared. I'm a good person. I have a request if you don't mind. It's not polite of me to discuss anything in the middle of the road. What kind of a noblewoman do you think I am?" I look around, making sure there is nobody around to see this. I sigh mentally before decided to get into her car.

"Where are we going exactly?" I asked when the car started to move.

"Somewhere private where we can talk about this crazy idea of mine." Grand Duchess Annabelle smiled at me. I'm having second thoughts now. Why did I even agree to be here in the first place?

Is it because I fear that she may target my family next? Or is it because she's related to the emperor?

"What's your full name?" She suddenly asked.

"Kathryn Park."

"Your age?" Huh? Why would she need to know that?

"I'm 26 years old," she smiled yet again or was that grinning? Either way, she's satisfied after knowing my age.

"Your age is perfect." There was an awkward silence all the way towards a villa that probably belongs to the imperial family. The crest on the gate such a giveaway.

"Follow me please," she said before getting out from the car. I did as told because I still cherish my life. From the stories I heard since I started working in Le Stella, these nobility doesn't have any sense of remorse when it comes to torturing commoners like me.

It's best if I just follow what she says to ensure my safety.

"Do you have any allergy that I should be concerning about?" I shake my head no.

"That's wonderful. Have a seat. Don't be shy with me." Don't be shy? You're the Grand Duchess! Of course I will get flustered for no reason.

"While we wait for the refreshment, why don't I just went straight to the point? I want you to be my candidate," say what now? What does she mean by that?

"Candidate? For?" I asked.

"After thorough consideration and how I thought of the strategy to overcome every obstacle, I decided to take you as the candidate for the emperor's matchmaking," holy mother of God. What the hell did she just say?! I never thought I could even get this shocked in my life.

"Wait a minute. Hold on! What? How do you expect me to react with that? Of course, my answer is no. Why would I even want to be in your crazy idea, to begin with?" I immediately decline the offer.