TWENTY | Shy smiles and beauty

A very sincere apology for my disappearance these last few months. I'm back now, and will try and get ahead with writing out some chapters so that we can hopefully get started on some sort of routine soon inshAllah. Also, for any terminology that you might not understand or know the meaning of, let me know in the comments below and i will get a glossary up soon!

Enjoy x

Dawoud's PoV

I walked out of the en-suite bathroom and into the bedroom whilst rubbing the water out of my dripping wet hair. I had just had a quick shower before settling for the night, when she caught my eye. She wore a gorgeous blue set of satin pyjamas and had her beautiful locks of hair loose around her shoulders. She hadn't yet noticed me enter the room, so I took advantage and silently watched her as she flicked through the magazine she had laid out on our bed.

 She hadn't yet noticed me enter the room, so I took advantage and silently watched her as she flicked through the magazine she had laid out on our bed

Our bed...It still felt so odd for me to suddenly call everything that was once mine, ours. But its funny, I did it without realising, the words just seem so natural to say.

I had not even noticed the large smile that had stretched across my face as I stood there, dumbfounded. I smiled again as I took in the sight, and my mind wandered off when my eyes caught sight of the beautiful cascade of chocolate brown waves that hung down her back. I felt the urge to lean forward and touch them, feel the soft feeling that made me feel all warm inside.

I closed my eyes and remembered the first time I caught a proper glimpse of her hair. It was the night of our wedding, we had just left the venue after saying our goodbyes to our families, which Sumaiya understandably found incredibly hard. I realise now that for a daughter to marry is a big deal, she leaves her whole family, her home and everybody she loves to begin a new life with the man who is to become her husband. I made a quick vow to never make her feel unsettled or uncomfortable with me. My heart almost broke as I watched her cry tears of sadness, pain and longing to run into her mother's arms and not leave the venue. I stood there helplessly, sure there was nothing I could say or do to make her feel any better. I went up to her, placed my hand gently on her back, barely even touching, and told her that I was ready when she was. She looked up and nodded at me gratefully. A few moments later she came towards me, smiled at me and signalled that she was ready to go. Like the gentleman I am, I opened the passenger side door of the sports car I had hired and whispered to her as I helped her and her dress in, "I promise we'll visit them soon. And don't forget, we'll see them at the walima tomorrow as well". I gazed at her as I gently wiped the last of the tears from her eye when nobody was looking. I was about to turn away when she whispered quietly, only loud enough for me to hear, "Thank you, Dawoud. I'm sorry for crying, it's just a lot of emotions hit me and this is a big step for me."

"Hey, don't apologise, I totally understand. Now let me see that beautiful smile again."

We drove the way to our hotel in silence, our hands intertwined and our faces carved with content and shy smiles.

It was that evening in the hotel room that I helped her to remove the hundreds of pins that had miraculously held her hijab in place all day without making themselves visible. We had laughed through it, not wanting to create an awkward atmosphere. We came to a point when we were so comfortable talking about our day and all the guests (bear it in mind, these pins took a long time to remove... these girls and their fashion... *eye roll*) that she didn't even realise when the last pin was pulled away and the long piece of white chiffon material flowed off her low bun to reveal the beauty that was beneath. I stopped in my tracks and realised what had just happened. She did too and quickly blushed, trying to pull and scarf back and avoiding my eye.

"I'm so sorry, hang on I'll just cover it up" she stuttered quickly.

My hands acted quicker than I thought and I caught the scarf and pulled it away, preventing her from lifting it back over her head.

"No... no... don't do that..." I said quietly over the silence that shadowed the room.

She looked up at me embarrassed whilst I looked at her in awe. I stepped towards her, she became shy and began playing with the wedding rings on her finger. I smiled as she did that. I held my hand out towards her as her eyes stayed fixed on where it would go. I pointed at her bun, and whispered, "may I...?".

She smiled very slightly, still blushing, and looked away. I had embarrassed her, moved too fast. She'd never be comfortable around me. I was so stupid, how could I rush her like this?!

I was about to apologise when I saw her nod from the corner of my eye. She was slow and unsteady at first, but turned to look at me and nodded positively.

I breathed a sigh of relief, smiled at her and walked towards her before untying the head of hair that was now visible to my eyes.

I could not believe how lucky I was to call her mine.

I quickly snapped back to the present and broke out of my trance before sitting down on the bed which dipped beside her, causing her to look up and finally notice I was there.

"Hey" she said with a smile on her face.

'Hey, you ready to play 20 questions now?"

"Yep, you go first!"

A very well deserved chapter for my patient readers... I'm so so sorry for the few months I took off from updating.

Anywhoooo... this cute couple will be off on their honeymoon soon, where in the world they'll be off on their adventures to?? Let me know in the comments down below...

Also, whilst we're on the topic, I want to take the opportunity to ask my lovely readers where in the world you guys are reading from...? Let me know below?!! J