27. Slip Away

Serena

I'm clearly inclined to make some stupid decisions in my life, and they all seem to be taken where my love life is involved.

After Lola's visit to the shop, her words just stayed with me. She left Will, so that he wasn't burdened with the thought that he could lose her and be left with a overwhelming sense of grief.

I couldn't even be mad at someone like that, especially since it was the kind of decision that I would make.

I had the rest of work to make my decision, but that was already made before Lola had even walked out the door.

She just wanted a chance and she had also come to me first, thinking that was the right thing to do. If it were someone else, they would have just gone straight to Will, there was no real need to even speak to me about it.

I guess I kind of appreciated the heads up from her, but it also brought it a lot of pressure.

When I came home that evening, Will was already at home, in the kitchen. He was baking, something he liked to do when stressed.

As I walked into the kitchen, Will smiled at me. I knew in that moment, I couldn't keep this to myself. So with a deep breath, I told him about Lola's visit. I didn't tell him all that she told me, since it was her story to tell, but I told him she wanted to see him.

Will was taken aback by the information, and hugged me so tight.  I knew it was relief and joy he was feeling. Because she was back.

He took a few days to gather himself and process the information, then he was ready to meet her and I let her know the same.

Today was that day.

I couldn't be home at wait. It felt as if the walls were closing in on me. So I spent the day, running errands, shopping, anything that would keep my mind off of their meeting.

It wasn't really helping, but I just couldn't stay at home and pretend it wasn't happening.

After a long day out, my feet were killing me. The lights were on when I got home, so I knew Will was already here, despite the eerie silence.

I couldn't see him in the living room, so I then walked into the bedroom and found him sitting on bed, with a box in his hands.

He was looking down at it, with saddened expression on his face.

"Hey," I said, placing my bags down in the room, but he didn't really acknowledge my presence.

I don't even think he knew I was in the room.

"Will, are you alright?" I asked him, taking a seat beside him on the bed and placed a hand on his shoulder.

From the way he stiffened, I knew he was aware of my presence, but he still didn't turn to look at me.

"This is my box of-" he began to say and I smiled at him.

"Lola's things?" I asked.

Will sighed and nodded. "I don't know why I kept it. I didn't want to, in fact I wanted to get rid of all reminders of her, but for some reason-"

"You couldn't let go," I smiled softly.

I laughed. "You're probably talking to the queen of not letting go. I have my own box, too. It's more of a memory box. To make me think of the happy times, the hurt, good laughs and so many other things."

There were quite a few things in my box, that I kept hidden away, from myself mostly. It wasn't right to treat it like a dirty little secret, because it wasn't. It was just memories.