Chapter Nineteen

Logan carried a soaking wet Virgil up the stairs to his apartment. Virgil insisted that he could walk but Logan assured him it was no trouble. The detective was simply beaming with happiness. Virgil had been right. A little swim was exactly what Logan had needed.

Logan set Virgil down once inside the apartment. Both of their clothes were still soaked and dripping. The wet material stuck to their skin but neither of them seemed to mind. "Why don't you get in the shower and I'll dry these clothes." Logan suggested. Virgil nodded and lead the way to the bathroom.

Virgil shut the bathroom door and undressed. He cracked the door open just enough to give Logan his clothes. Logan then put those clothes in a laundry hamper and then went to his room to change. Logan put on an old science camp T-Shirt that still fit him from High School and some sweat pants. His wet clothes joined Virgil's in the hamper.

He then walked down the hall to Logan's office which had a washer and dryer in it. Logan stuck their clothes in the dryer and set the cycle. He then heard the quick stepping of feet followed by a door shutting. Logan smiled, presuming that Virgil had finished his shower.

Logan walked back out to the hallway and enter his own small room. His bed was unmade and there were notes and papers all over his nightstands. While it seemed like a mess, to Logan, it was just organized chaos.

Virgil walked up behind him with the sweat pants from the night before and no shirt. Logan didn't notice how skinny Virgil was. Not to mention, pale. His chest was also riddled in scars and half-way healed cuts.

"Uh, d-do you have an extra blanket I could use? It was kinda cold last night." Virgil asked. A smile appeared on Logan face as he put his hands into his sweat pant pockets.

"Do you want to just sleep with me tonight?" Logan questioned. Virgil's face brightened with a red hue. Logan smirked, taking it as a yes. He motioned for Virgil to enter the bedroom. As Logan got into bed, Virgil followed, crawling next to him.

Virgil snuggled into Logan chest while Logan put an arm around him. He began mindlessly tracing circles on Virgil's chest. The emo hummed in comfort. "I enjoyed tonight." Logan finally said. "You were right, relaxing was something I really needed to do."

"Yeah, you seemed really tense to me, when we first met." Virgil admitted.

"Funny. That's what a lot of people used to say when they first met me." Logan giggled. Virgil smiled loosely. "Maybe that's why the people down at the station were so afraid of me."

"Yeah, cause you work your ass off daily? Sounds about right." Virgil chuckled to himself. Logan let a smile fall over to his face. He kissed the top of Virgil head who hummed in enjoyment.

"I really really like you, Virgil. Do you know that?" Logan asked him.

"Yes." Virgil sighed. His eyes started to flutter closed as his breathing deepened. Logan reached over to his nightstand and grabbed a book. He started to flip through the pages as Virgil fell deeper into sleep. Logan wasn't really tired. In fact, he felt wide awake.

Logan continued to read for a half an hour before the hand resting on Virgil's chest began to rise and fall at a faster rate. Logan stopped and looked over at Virgil, his chest moving up and down faster than normal. Virgil hands were shaking and his head was shifting around uncomfortably. "Virgil. Virgil, wake up!" Logan pleaded, shaking his shoulder.

Virgil let out a small scream that made Logan jump in the bed. This was bad. Logan shook his shoulder more aggressively. "Virgil, wake up! Please, it's only a nightmare!" Logan told him. Virgil eyes suddenly shot open as his body jerked upward. He breathing was erratic and tears streamed down his face.

He sat up right with his mouth hung open for a second. His eyes were floating across the room, trying to get a sense for where he was. "Virgil?" Logan finally questioned. The emo quickly turned to face Logan. His panicked expression turned fearful as a sob left his body and his collapsed into Logan, wrapping his arms around him and crying.

Logan's heart ached for the boy. He stroked his hair calmly, giving him words of encouragement every now and then. Virgil finally gathered the strength to look up to Logan who had a patient smile across his face. "You feeling better?"

Virgil nodded and swallowed the dread in his throat. "Do you want to talk about it?" Logan asked.

"I-It wasn't anything t-that bad. Just a recurring dream from the day Damion kidnapped me." Virgil explained. Logan nodded with understanding eyes. Virgil shifted his body back to how it was before. The silence between them grew before Virgil took in a long sigh.

"I was walking to college from my home. I had my major papers in my hand and, for once in my life, I felt good about myself. When I rounded a corner, I noticed someone started to follow me. I started to walk faster. Eventually, he caught up to me and pinned me to a wall. He cut my throat and began to beat me. I ended up losing consciousness which is when he grabbed me and the rest is history." Virgil recited. Logan nodded and sighed.

"I'm sorry that had to happen to you, Virgil. No one should ever go through something like this." Logan told him, holding him closer.

Virgil's eyes were trying to close again but Virgil was refusing. Logan could tell Virgil was tried but did not want to go back to sleep. "I-I'm gonna take a walk. C-Clear my head, you know?" Virgil told him.

"Do you want me to go with you?" Logan asked him.

"No, I'll be okay." Virgil said comfortingly. Logan nodded and let go of him. Virgil stumbled up, shivering as his skin made contact with the cold air.

"Your jacket is still in the dryer. Take that before you go." Virgil nodded sleepily and walked lazily down the hall.

Logan watched him, sad to see him leave. He knew it was for the best. He heard the front door shut and the apartment walls shake as he stomped down the stairs. Logan sighed and settled into his bed. It was growing colder. Logan already missed him.