Chapter Four

It was now the next day. Logan was sitting in the break room at the police station, casually sipping his coffee and reading the local paper. His mind was swimming about his last interaction with his brother. After Picani's, they drove home in complete silence. Logan dropped Patton off at his apartment despite Logan saying he'd buy his younger brother a hotel for the night. Patton declined and disappeared into his tiny apartment building. Guilt flooded Logan from the moment he snapped at Patton to the moment he woke up that morning. He felt awful. He knew his brother would forgive him as that was in his nature, but Logan wouldn't forgive himself as easily.

Logan took a sip of his coffee. The paper was the usual things. High school sports, updates about the town, comics. Same old, Logan thought. He flipped to the next page, his eyes scanning the page for anything that would peek his interests. His eyes landed on a long article that almost made him choke on his coffee. The titled read: BREAKING; kingpin Damion Lye found dead! Was it murder or misunderstanding?

Logan started reading it faster than he ever had in his life. He almost couldn't believe it. How could he have died? He had his own swarm of goons and workers; no policemen or murderer could've slipped past them.

Logan brushed his hands through his hair. His thoughts were suffocating him. He folded the newspaper up, stood from his chair and returned it to the small stack of newspapers and magazines that was next to the door.

Logan walked out of the break room and headed back to his office. It was times like these, Logan could say with full confidence, that he loved his job. He always loved mysteries. Working in his profession, he got to solve mysteries and get payed for it. It was a real winning situation.

On his way back to his office, he bummed into someone whilst deep in thought. He turned around to apologize but the man beat him to it. "Oh, sorry about that sir." He said. Logan was facing Officer Roman Royal. He was tall and very muscular, with dark brown hair that faded to blonde at the tips which complimented his deep brown eyes. Roman smirked in happiness and pointed to Logan. "You're actually just the person I was looking for, sir." Roman continued.

"P-Please," Logan said, almost caught off guard. "There is no need to call me, 'sir'. Logan will be fine."

"Well okay, Logan." Roman joked. His smiling demeanor turned around. "But, I do actually need you for something. Why don't you follow me." Logan nodded and followed the officer. They walked down the stairs and into a room with gray walls a minimal lighting. Logan had hardly been in the room where the prisoners were.

"You know about Damion Lye's death?" Roman asked.

"Yeah, when did that happen?" Logan questioned in return.

"Last night. I was at the scene. There wasn't much to go off of other than who we caught lurking around afterwards." Roman lead him into a room that had two other officers inside that Logan didn't recognize. They were watching a young man from the next room over through the window side of the one way mirror. Logan couldn't see the man very well from here but he cold tell he was scared.

"That's prisoner #04891219. We have no information on him." Logan took in the information, still watching the prisoner. Logan knew that'd he'd be able to coax information out of him. It was his job after all.

"I'd like to speak with him." Logan requested. Roman nodded and lead him to the next room over. The door opened and the man's head shot up. His eyes were stained red and his pupils were shrunken in fear. His hands were cuffed together and wrapped behind the chair he was sitting in. He was also wearing a muzzle that was piercing his skin. Logan's brow came together, "Take that muzzle off of him." Logan said calmly.

"What?" Roman looked at him like he was crazy. Logan only cleared his throat and tried again.

"He's not an animal, Roman. Take the muzzle off." Roman didn't fight him this time. He went ahead and removed the muzzle and left the room. Logan and the young man just looked at each other, neither of them knowing what to say.

"Thank you." The prisoner blurted.

"Of course." Logan nodded his head. "May I sit there?" Logan said, directing his hand towards the seat across from the prisoner. He nodded and Logan proceeded, taking a seat and getting a good look at the prisoner.

He had scruffy brown hair that had a purple streak in it. His eyes were almost black and he had a scar going across his left eye. He was already wearing one of the bright orange jumpsuits, Logan could almost see every bone in his body, he was so skinny. Logan could tell by his actions that this man had issues with anxiety. The way he kept looking around and biting his lips. It was hard to not notice.

"Do you have a name?" Logan spoke at last. The prisoner shuffled in his seat, obviously uncomfortable.

"V-Virgil B-B-Black." He muttered.

"Nice to meet you, Virgil. My name is Logan Sanders." Virgil almost looked taken back by all the kindness Logan was giving him. Virgil nodded, his eyes drifted back down to look at the floor. "How did you know Damion Lye?" That question struck a nerve. Virgil shut his eyes tightly and shook his head. Logan panicked a little, "We don't have to talk about it if you don't want-"

"He was my boss." Virgil said through shaky breaths. "He hated me. I was nothing in his eyes. Just his little plaything that he could throw around and use whenever he felt like it." Logan could see the hate in his eyes for this man.

"Did you kill Damion?" Logan asked next.

"No." Virgil shook his head, snapping his head up to look Logan straight in the eyes. "I didn't kill him. Please, I didn't. I-I know they found me near him b-but I was told by his other goons to go find him! I didn't know he'd be dead!" Logan only nodded, looking blankly as he tried to piece the puzzle together in his head.

"You think I killed him, don't you?" Virgil directed his question to Logan. Logan leaned back in his chair and sighed.

"I don't know what I think yet, Virgil. I just know what you have told me." Logan stated simply. Logan could already tell, this wasn't going to be an easy case.