Chapter Seventeen

Virgil's heart shattered in his chest. He didn't know. He had no way of knowing. Damion was crazy but he never thought he killed anybody. Although by the sound of it, Damion didn't stick around to see if he actually did kill someone. "Logan, I-I'm so sorry." Virgil choked out. Logan wiped his damp eyes and looked down to Virgil who was laying in his lap.

"Ever since then, I worked harder than I ever had before. I stopped at nothing to find Damion and make him pay for that day. Obviously..." Logan paused, squeezing Virgil's hand into a tighter embrace. "Obviously I never got to do that." Logan let out a heavy sigh.

Patton stood in the hallway, staring at the two lying on the stiff couch. His eyes were filled with tears, the rag he was holding slipped from his grip. "So that's what happened." Patton said aloud. Logan jumped in his seat at the sound of Patton's voice.

Logan read his brother's face before shooting up off the couch and approaching him. Virgil watched quietly and confused. "Patton, please, you have to understand now as to why I didn't tell you!"

"No, Logan! I don't understand. You told me, that mom and dad passed away peacefully when I was five. When I woke up from my coma, they weren't there, and you told they died peacefully?! Logan, how could you lie to me like that!"

"Patton, you were only ten! You didn't remember that the accident even happened! I was worried that type of information would figuratively tear you apart!"

"How weak do you think I am?" Patton mumbled, loud enough for everyone to hear and understand. Logan's eyes widened.

"Patton, that's not the point-"

"So you couldn't tell me now that we're young adults?"

"You just went through a rough break-up. I didn't want to add more onto your plate!"

"So over working yourself night after night about Damion's case is okay, then? You know, when you mentioned to Emile that: you were still caught up on mom and dad, I thought you were still upset that they died. That you couldn't be there to try and save them. Not that Damion killed them!" Patton retaliated.

"Patton, please, if you just let me explain-"

"I've heard enough." Patton cut him off. With that, he pushed past Logan and stormed off for the door. Patton wrapped his fingers around the door knob and stopped, "I hope you get better, Logan." He then walked out, shutting the door behind him.

Logan faltered in the hallway. His body was frozen and his tongue was speechless. Virgil stood up, moving towards Logan slowly. Virgil grabbed Logan's hand in his own, moving both of their hands close to his chest. "Logan, please talk to me." Virgil begged.

"I-I-I just d-didn't wa-want him to have t-t-to live w-with his parents d-death all his life l-like me." Logan stuttered. Virgil nodded, meeting Logan's eyes.

"I get it. It scarred you. You didn't want Patton to feel the pain you did. But you have to realize that you can't keep carrying Damion's case on your shoulders anymore." Virgil told him in a calming manor. Logan nodded, his eyes still filled with tears. Virgil pondered to himself for a second, his face lit up after a couple seconds.

"Come on." Virgil said, pulling on Logan's arms.

"W-What? Where are we going?" Logan said, snapping out of his trance. Virgil smiled, inching closer and closer to the door.

"I know what will make you feel better." Virgil said as they came to the door. Opening the door to let in the cold breeze filled both of the boys' bodies with chills. The moon was set in the sky and stars were twinkling. Virgil smiled to himself. Perfect.

Virgil dragged Logan down the stairs and past some other apartment buildings. "Virgil, I'm very confused. Where are we going?" Logan questioned.

"It's an old apartment complex. It has to have a-" Virgil stopped himself as they rounded the corner to see the gated apartment pool. Logan's eye brows raised.

"The pool?"

"Yeah, come on!" Virgil tugged at his arm once more. They went to the gate which Virgil unlatched and opened with ease. Once inside, the emo boy lead the detective to the deep end of the pool.

Virgil kicked his worn converse to the side and stuck his feet in the heated pool. Logan took a suggestive step back out of pure confusion. Virgil looked up at his confusion, simply patting the ground next to him. Logan looked over at Virgil's converses on the ground. He looked down at his polished dress shoes and then over to Virgil who was staring into the pool's calming waves made by his kicking feet.

Logan's expression shifted to a smile as he kicked his shoes next to Virgil's and took a seat next to him. He dipped his foot into the water, feeling its warmth, he put both feet in. Virgil leaned in on Logan's shoulder. The lights under the water of the pool illuminating the world around them.

"This is nice, Virgil. I really needed this." Logan admitted. Virgil hummed in agreement.

"You said, you felt more like you have in a long time back there. I figured this might've been what you meant."

"True. I was a lot calmer before the accident. I wouldn't say the drugs Remy injected me with made me feel like that again but, I did feel like I wasn't watching my life get thrown away by a dead guy anymore." Virgil chuckled at that. Logan blushed, the little laugh escaping the emo's lips making his heart bounce.

Logan pushed himself off the concrete around the pool, propelling himself into the deep end. He made a small splash, making Virgil's arms fly up to avoid the water. Logan laughed as the water began soaking his clothing. He approached Virgil slowly, sticking his arm out for him to join the detective. "I-I don't really know how to swim." Virgil admitted flustered.

"I'll hold onto you the entire time." Logan said in a breath. Virgil's face heated but he grabbed Logan's hand. Logan pulled him in, a splash following him. Logan wrapped his arm around Virgil's waist and the other on his shoulder. Virgil's hands came together and hung on the back of Logan's neck.

The stars danced as the two gazed into each other's eyes and waded in the water. Logan lowered his stance, bringing the both of them under the water. Virgil looked panicked as his cheeks puffed, holding in oxygen. Logan smiled in the water. Logan's calmness brought Virgil back down to earth. He smiled to.

Logan pulled Virgil closer to his face. The moment seemed to last forever, but it ended in their lips meeting as they came up for air, not releasing the kiss.