Lesson Twenty-Five: If You Can Skip Class, Do.

Chapter Twenty-Five

"You can go now, class. I will see you this afternoon." Mr Hughes said just after the bell rang.

I wasn't hanging around with Cole, I wasn't going to stoop that low. I'd been here just over six weeks now and I wasn't taking a step backwards.

As I'd planned, I watched the class walk out. I saw Matt and Holly walk out of the room so I took that as my cue to leave. I wasn't the last one completely (some girl had spilled her water) but I was towards the back of them so it was good. I'll do a few laps then turn up to lesson, the old cow makes us wait at the bottom of the stairs for her anyway so by the time I'm done and get in the queue, she'll just be waddling down them.

In fact, I might just go and have half a fag. My nerves were fraught. I don't think I've smoked as much as I have this past week than I ever have in my life. Whenever thought to that letter came up, my instinct was to just light one up.

I exited the room and turned left, as per the one-way system.

"Bailey?" The voice wasn't loud but I heard it over the bustle of students. The Maths corridor was by far the busiest during the day. It was narrower than the English or Humanities corridor so you really got packed in. You went from being able to walk in a line of four to two.

I debated ignoring the voice but something in me stopped me from doing so. I turned around and in the process, was shoved to the side by the stream of students. Pushing through them, I aimed for the alcove and faced Golden Boy once we had a bit of space.

"Matt."

He gave me an awkward look. "Are you okay? I saw you walk into school this morning and you completely ignored us. If it's about what happened at Kieron's-"

"It's not." I cut him off. I mean, it was, but the main reason was the letter.

"Then what is the matter?" He replied. "I want you to be my friend."

I shrugged, I couldn't let him know about the letter. He'll probably defend his friends and say it wasn't them then say it isn't a big deal or something.

"Okay, so it was. It was weird and I didn't want it to be. I just wanted to be friends too and was spooked." I lied. I didn't want to be friends with him, I wanted to be his girlfriend. I just didn't trust him at the same time so I knew that wouldn't work too.

Hi face fell. He wasn't very good at hiding his emotions. "We can be friends still. Please sit with us at break?"

I stopped myself from pulling a face at the prospect of having to sit with them but my choices were seriously limited. If James said something, I was screwed. But the only other option was Cole and that was somehow worse.

His face was so dejected as well. I somehow ended up feeling guilty for the actions of his friends. Hmm... "Okay." I just wasn't going to say anything.

"Really?" He replied surprised.

I studied his features, the dimples that you just wanted to poke, the light that appeared in his brown eyes, the smile that changed his whole demeanour. He was so easy to please, it was like he was a puppy or something. And just like a puppy, I didn't want to hurt him.

This whole thing was just so messed up though. I wanted to go out with him but I couldn't because I'd slept with his best mate. I was getting stalker-y letters which could have been sent by any of them and he didn't think I had slept with Cole. Hell, Cole could have told them my address! And I couldn't trust anyone.