Chapter 58: The Story of Prince Alphonse

Start from the beginning

At that moment I, the third prince, was about to die after having been attacked by the assassins, the image of the blinding horizon was burning in my mind. My body and soul was overflowing with the bright light of my death and rebirth and the powerful sense that I couldn't die. After having lived such a pitiful previous life, how could I die when I was born into a life I wanted? A life where I would never want for anything. A life where I was royalty. How could that be the end of my magnificent fairytale?

Before I knew what was going on, that piercing light exploded from my little body. Like a silent bomb going off. I watched with  bloodied half-closed eyes as my light shone over the assassins. My light was blinding and beautiful just like the sunrise. But undeniably deadly, because as soon as my light enveloped them, they turned to ashes. Their bodies, clothes and weapons were disintegrated in an instant.

My near-death had awakened my memories as well as my incredible power bestowed upon me by the gods. A power that was completely new to this world, that my family decided to keep secret from everyone except a few trusted allies.

Unfortunately, my power had disintegrated all evidence of the Erithien assassins and thus my parents had nothing to accuse the kingdom with. Although my light had saved my life, I had destroyed all the evidence and had thus denied myself justice from Erithien. Furthermore, I wasn't able to give my brother peace of mind about Valda, the woman who had betrayals him. He would never be able to confront her and never find the satisfaction he was looking for.

My body was so thoroughly damaged, that Royal mages had to stay by my bedside at all times to constantly chant their spells to keep me alive and heal me. My recovery took months, but it was time well spent. All those days in bed allowed me to come to terms with the new part of myself that I had forgotten about. Kim Si Woo. I didn't consider myself to be that man, I just considered him part of me. I was after all the third Prince of Girannon, Alphonse.

Thanks to the memories of my past life, I was suddenly very capable in mathematics and all my schooling. My teachers praised me a great deal for buckling down and taking my studies so seriously, even though I treated my lessons with the same indifference I always had. Furthermore, I became a lot wiser. I found myself being able to understand the adults when they chatted during dinner time and I became more mature. So mature that I didn't want to play with any of the kids my age anymore, they were all idiots compared to me. More than anything else, my powers changed. For a long time, the King and Queen have been concerned because I hadn't shown any signs of power, but after the incident, I was suddenly able to wield a mysterious new power that no one had seen before.

The magic that shone bright like the sun. I was getting better and better at wielding it, and my mage tutors began to call me a genius. However, for my safety, my parents decided to keep my mysterious power a secret for now. They feared that more assassins would come for me if my unheard-of power was exposed.

Soon after I had been healed my cushy life returned to normal, except that I knew I was a reincarnated person and when I fell asleep at night the gods would talk to me in my dreams. In this way, they communicated to me and showed me what my mission was.

The one bad thing that had happened since the incident was my relationship with Geoffrey. He had once been so loving and caring toward me but now I could see the shame in his eyes. He took the incident that hardest since he felt responsible for what had happened to me. I could see the guilt eating away at him and I made it a point to tell him that it wasn't his fault. It was Erithien's fault. They were the villains behind all this! But no matter what I said, the stain on my brother's heart never cleared. From that day on, he became a mistrusting, suspicious and cold person. The generosity and happiness that had once flowed from him were almost gone.