Going Out Without a Limb (Part 2)

"Oh yeah... I may have to", I suggest.

I am now anxious in the pit of my stomach; I don't know how the heck the tail gears work.

"I don't know how... is it hard?", I say walking over and petting the sad fury.

"Not really. You just have to memorize the different tail shifts to keep him in the air", he says and I gulp down the hunger that had built over the last few hours. Now the very thought of anything makes me nauseous.

"It's okay Astrid. We're not far from Berk. Besides, it was about time you learned anyways", he lightly chuckles.

He's right. I honestly don't know why I haven't been taught to fly him yet. At the same time, I know this must be uncomfortable for both of them. They haven't flown separately since... well... since they first bonded!

"Toothless. You love Astrid right?", Hiccup asks him and the dragon nuzzles my hands.

"Okay bud, she's going to have to fly you home. Because somebody left my other foot back home...", he sasses the night fury, who now has a slight snarl, laughing from the pit of his throat.

Hiccup shows me the few petal clicks and I learn quickly. I am now eased of any fear as well, because I know Toothless has my back regardless.

We make our way over to the edge of the cliff to jump out over the vast ocean, towards home.

"Hey.. What do you say we race them home..?", I whisper and Toothless gurgles in agreement.

I peek over my shoulder at the love of my life on my good girl, Stormfly.

"Ready?", he asks me.

"Let's go!", I pat Toothless' neck and we zoom off. I make sure the tail positions are right and the sky seemed to pass through my vision incredibly quicker from the back of a night fury.

Berk quickly comes into view and we land just beside my house.

I hug Toothless and run over to an irritated Hiccup on the back of my dragon. I hold my arms up and help him upon his jump down. I can't help but laugh at his struggle as his arm is across my shoulders.

"Why is it always a race?", Hiccup groans.

"It wasn't one! You just needed to pay better attention", I kiss his cheek.

"Yeah, I do. Never leaving without a leg ever again", he says in a monotone fashion that just makes me giggle.

"And, I'm never letting you fly my dragon again", he adds.

I immediately, instinctively punch his arm.

"Ah-ow!", he cries.

"What was that for?!", he complains as he hops along the path up to his house.

"Don't even. You know exactly why. Besides, Toothless and I make a great team", I sneer at my boyfriend.

He ends up rolling his eyes and dismissing the matter. The last little climb to the Haddock household got a little difficult for my poor Hiccup, but... if truth be told, I landed where I did on purpose.

I knew I'd have to help him up the hill. Sure, Toothless could have walked up with Hiccup on his back, but this is a time I stole for myself. We finally reach the steps up to his door and he sits down, out of breath. I fetch the prosthetic leg... but gag at the sight of Toothless slobber ALL OVER THE ENTIRETY OF THE LEG.

"Egh", I sheepishly throw it at Hiccup.

"Ew. Erm.. thanks. Ugh, this doesn't wash out. Even from wood and metal", he shakes off the leg some before snapping it on.

I sit beside him and lay my head on his shoulder. Thoughts of our afternoon together flooded my mind again and I wanted to go straight back to that meadow. The sun sank lower in the sky and was about to take its nightly dip into the ocean. Hiccup cuffs a firm hand around my upper thigh, and lays his head on mine.

"Astrid"

"Mm?"

"About earlier...", he starts nervously.

Oh gods, this may be about his future as Chief. And me...

"Yeah...?", I urge him.

"Well... uh...", he's now gulping his words down. This is a Hiccup I rarely see nowadays. The only thing that kicks down his courage, is the unknown duties of the future. Which is a tremendous thing, I understand, but that's why I'm here. That's why he has chosen me... I just don't understand why he feels like he has to keep it from me.

"Hiccup...?"

"Uh. Did your parents know you got home safely?"

Oh Thor...

"Yes. Stormfly is there, which means I'm home on the island"

An awkward silence fills the air as we see the sky now exploding with pink and orange swirls and bursts.

"Was that all on your mind?", I ask.

"Yes"

"Are you sure?", I look up at him. Those green eyes filled with thousands of thoughts bouncing in his brain.

"No...", he sighs.

"Babe... talk to me...", I cuff his cheek and part of his chin. Eagerness lies in the gaze that wants to seek my aid, but can't form the courage to be vulnerable.

Finally, he lets out a harsh sigh. His head meets my metal shoulder pad and my hand reaches the back of his head, slowly scratching his scalp.

"Dad has put so much pressure on me about being ready to take over the village. It's "for your people this" and "duties that". Astrid, I... I just don't know if I'm cut out for it...", he says from his spot in my shoulder. I push his shoulders back and have him look me dead in the eyes. For my stomach began to churn a whirlwind of passion that was about to overflow. I see this man for so much more than what his mirror could tell him. I have believed in him and seen him succeed in many ways as a leader and friend. Now, as my boyfriend, he has constantly been the kindest, most thoughtful and meaningful human being. The Hiccup I know, does the right thing and won't stop at anything to make sure it's followed through.

"Hiccup, stop. You are the next leader of Berk for a reason. You need to stop doubting yourself. You have lead us as group for years and have changed the lives of so many people. Stoick hasn't even asked you to be Chief yet. We won't know how soon, but you can do it babe", I say with every ounce my heart will allow.

A warm smile creeps onto his face and delicate eyes busily scan my face.

"How do you know all this? How do you do it every time?", he asks pushing a strand of hair out of my face.

"I just love you. And believe in you", I smile as his lips meet mine.

"I just have one word of advice, my love", I say.

"And that is?"

"Just remember... when you're on chiefly trips and what-not, don't go out without a limb", I snicker.

"Ohhhhh I see how it's going to be. And who's to say you won't be able to help me again...?"

Ah! There it is! A small ray of hope that he's thinking about me being Chieftess... maybe.

"I could... if I can fly Toothless", I raise an eyebrow.

"Uh huh, we'll see", he rolls his eyes and I giggle.

"You think you're so funny. Come 'ere you", he holds my head with both hands and smashes his lips on mine.

Slightly hurting my nose, but I could care less against a confident Hiccup.