Unafraid of Toil

Cygnus slung her bag over her shoulder and made her way through the common room.

"You're up early." Astoria Greengrass nodded in greeting.

"Avoiding the crowd." Cygnus said in explanation.

"Ah, best of luck with that." The girl smiled, returning to her book.

Cygnus frowned at her remark, standing a moment before shaking her head and making her way towards the wall that marked the entrance to their common room.

She froze ups on seeing what awaited her.

Cedric Diggory lay on the flagstone floor, one arm under his head, his bag beside him, still dressed in his robes.

She sighs, kneeling down next to the boy.

"Cedric." She whispers, gently shaking him. "Wake up."

The boy starts, sitting up so suddenly that their heads smack together.

"Sorry sorry sorry." He mumbles, wincing as he clambers to his feet.

Cygnus sighs, massaging her forehead. "You brute." She quips.

"What were you thinking, what if Snape would have caught you?" She questions.

"I was thinking that this belongs to you." Cedric answers, producing from his pocket the necklace that he had gifted her in their second year.

"Cedric... I-"

"Don't." He interrupts softly. "Come on, let's go for a walk."

Cygnus sighs, staring at the Hufflepuff boy.

"What? Are you really not going to accompany me?" He asks, and reluctantly, she follows.

The two make their way upstairs, but instead of turning right, to the Great Hall, they turn left, exiting the school and onto the grounds.

"It happened, didn't it?" Cedric asks gently.

Cygnus lowers her head, ashamed. "Yes."

Cedric stops, turning to the girl.

"Hey." He says softly, gently lifting her head with his finger beneath her chin.

The girl's green blue eyes stare at him, magnified by the unshed tears they held.

"It doesn't matter what you are, it doesn't matter who you think you are." He says, his eyes never leaving hers. "You're still Cygnus, you're still my little bird."

Cygnus breaks then, burying her head into the boys shoulder as she cries. Ever the dutiful best friend, Cedric wraps his arms around her and does his best to soothe her.

Eventually her cries cease, and she pulls away from the Hufflepuff.

"I just wanted to keep you safe, what will happen if-"

Cedric pressed a finger to her lips, shushing her. "It doesn't matter, I'll fight man, beast, deatheater, and you-know-who to stay by your side."

She frowns, shaking her head. "You're a foolish boy, Cedric Diggory."

"A foolish boy who loves you." He grins, ruffling her hair. "And will never, ever stop."

She swats his hand away, chuckling sadly.

"C'mon, there's no getting rid of me, little bird." He drawls, dangling the necklace in front of her.

"You're absolutely horrific." She harrumphs, crossing he arms.

"You love me." He battles.

She rolls her eyes, smiling.

"You're sure you want to do this to yourself?" She asks.

"Would I have spent the night outside the Slytherin Dungeon if I didn't?" He answers.

She smiles and lifts her hair, Cedric grins and slips the necklace over her head.

"C'mon, let's get breakfast." He says, offering his hand.

Their hands intwined, they return to the castle.