Chapter Three

Jack had forgotten entirely about the two Norse gods when his shift finished. Well, maybe he hadn't entirely forgotten about them, they were pretty memorable. Still, they weren't at the forefront of his mind.

Either way though, they'd definitely prevented Trevor and his menacing buddy from not only getting their asses kicked by Jack but also potentially Jack getting pretty messed up in the process.

There were two of them, after all.

The revelation that Jack was gay hadn't been much of a game-changer at Subway. Sure the other teenagers who worked there were surprised. Still, they didn't kick up as much of a fuss about it, as he'd expected.

One of the other guys, Ben, had even been friendlier to him after finding out, even though he'd previously sort of kept to himself. He usually kept his nose down and got on with his work. Tonight, however, he didn't seem to be capable of going five minutes without talking.

Jack had just assumed he was your typical, socially awkward bloke. He'd never really paid him any attention before tonight. But honestly, he was pretty cool.

He was thinking about Ben and their many conversations as he locked the restaurant door at closing time and stepped out into the street. There weren't many people still about, one dude was having a very noisy and drunk conversation to his girlfriend about coming to pick him up. It didn't sound like she was too pleased that he had drunk away his cab fare.

Another couple of guys were loitering, one of them staring intently at his phone with the other seemed to be surveying the quieting street for... what?

Maybe he just liked late-night streetscapes. Jack didn't know or care.

Especially when Josh's car pulled up to the curb and music came out of the open passenger window.

He looked about to make sure the people near weren't paying too much attention. Still, it was a very sexy car, and the music was deafening, and their street was rather quiet now so... what could he do really.

He crossed the pavement carefully. He slipped into the Audi R8, and Josh's lips were on him before he could even position himself correctly to pull his door shut.

He tasted of hard liquor. Extremely potent but also sweet.

Jack kind of liked it.

"Woah," he said after the first wave of the impromptu make-out session subsided. The drunk guy who was yelling at his girlfriend was definitely watching him.

Josh was pretty easily recognisable being a pro athlete. Josh was also 100% not out of the closet and in the public eye.

That had been the plan for next year.

The drunk was fumbling with his phone and pointing at them. Definitely not a car enthusiast.

Jack pulled his door shut and commanded his drunken boyfriend, too, "go!"

The car purred to life as they whipped away from the street-side. Jack checked the drunk in his passenger-side mirror and saw a flash and then watched as the two other guys approached him.

Was he showing them the photo? Surely he'd only gotten a shot of the car...? Was he going to see this on the TMZ website in the morning?

Did TMZ even care about Aussie NRL stars?

TV Week then, maybe?

He looked over at Josh, who very clearly shouldn't be driving. Blurry eyed and red-faced.

Jack trusted him though, so he sat back in his seat, pulled his seat belt on and said nothing.

When they soon pulled up to the valet parking at the Hotel, Josh stumbled out of his car and would have fallen over if it weren't for the valet who was standing ready to catch his keys and ended up catching a whole heap more.