| seventeen: nostalgia

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
Nostalgia
⠀⠀⠀⠀    

Think of life as a chessboard. There are the Kings and the Queens; who serve as the rightful leaders. There are the Knights and the Bishops; the hunters and the wise. And then there was me; one of the pawns playing a game of live or die alongside the people I care most about.

And just like Allison, my very own brother had been taken away from me. But this time, it was fixable. Scott had been taken, for whatever reason Kate Argent believed necessary. So now it was time to mend whatever ounce of pain I felt, and turn it into the instinct that'll get me through this battlefield.

After all,
Pain is only instinct, and instinct is what makes us human.

But in saying that, it isn't looking so likely about the human part; especially considering the circumstances I'm in right now. If it weren't for Liam practically having to restrain me, I'd probably run to hell knows where in hopes of escaping the unescapable; the thought of Scott missing.

"You're not helping!" Liam's grip around my wrists tightened as he pulled them further behind my back. With my stomach and chest pressed up against the wall, I was finding it harder to break loose, even as I began shifting. If it was possible to feel your eyes changing from human to werewolf, I definitely felt it; especially since the headache - of which had warned me about shifting only a month ago - had a certain hatred for my head right now.

The cold water that rained down upon me from the shower felt like icy tendrils of electricity as each and every drop landed onto me. My clothes were absolutely drenched, my hair clung to whatever possible, and I was fortunately shifting back into human; I believed to be.

Liam let go of my wrists - which proved my point of how I really was changing back - and he then twirled me around to face him. With my back to the wall, I leaned my head against it and closed my eyes before taking in large amounts of breaths. I felt like I hadn't breathed in hours, and my headache was slowly decreasing thanks to the now calming shower.

"Better?" Liam asked almost sarcastically, and I had to open my eyes again just to notice that he was dead serious; maybe even a little worried. Well, of course he'd be worried, but I think that'd have more to do with Scott's disappearance, or the possibility that anyone could walk into this locker room and see Liam with his werewolf not-girlfriend in the shower.

I nodded, feeling the all too familiar sharp pain in my mouth as the canines withdrew. That was one thing that slipped my mind whilst transforming, and that was the possibility of hurting Liam in any way. Then again, if it ever came down to it, I'm certain Liam would fight back. That would lead to an all out dog fight, which I hate to admit would be pretty fun.

"Good." He sighed before reaching up above our heads to switch off the shower. Once he did, the water stopped within seconds, leaving me colder than how I had felt underneath the shower when it was on in the first place. I grabbed ahold of my arms instinctively to shield myself from the small breeze as Liam slumped himself against the wall. He slid down until he was sitting right besides me, and I followed in suit.

"This is kinda familiar." I pointed out whilst shuffling further towards Liam's side. He wrapped an arm around my neck and pulled me into his chest, which happened to be much warmer than I would've expected - for someone who just drenched themselves.

"Oh yeah?" Liam wondered, sounding very out of breath and tired. Maybe it was from holding me down, or maybe it was from lacrosse. All I could think about however, was how he and I both needed sleep.

We also needed to find Scott.

"Yeah," I closed my eyes; hearing Liam's heartbeat ever so clearly. It was going at a fast pace, which only made me giggle at the thought of him still being nervous around me, "It reminds me of that time you lost your crap at Brett, and so Scott and Stiles had to take you here and-"