Farewell to the General

"They are gone." said Oropher, as he flew over Rivendell. "The Elves have gone West."

Below them, the valley of Imladris extended, dark and silent. The grey clouds that for days had been crossing the sky, had spread an enormous blanket of shadow over the once bright and mystical valley. The great ravine that gave name to that territory was not even more visible, so thick was the fog that rose from its depths.

"Go to that waterfall ... the big one on the left." Goneril ordered. "The cave is hidden there."

The Dragon headed towards a jagged ridge, from which a particularly intense jet of water gushed.
"How did you hide a hundred boxes in there? The path that leads to the cave is not even visible." commented Oropher.

"We lowered them with a rope. Ten soldiers were in charge of transporting them here, thirty boxes every three months." the warrior explained, as the Dragon began the descent. "The ten legionaries I trusted most ... when I could still trust them."

"They could have stolen the gold before you, then." said Oropher. "If they know where it's hidden."

"No ... unfortunately they did something worse." answered Goneril, who figured her army sided with Sauron. "Come on, land here...put me down. Yes ... right here."

Oropher managed to find a point below the waterfall stable enough to rest his paws, and the woman jumped down. "Let me check." She said, and entered the cave.

Here they are. Finally, she thought.

As imagined, the boxes were all there. Arranged in order, all closed with thick ropes full of mold, and covered with various cobwebs. Goneril pulled Haldir's dagger from her belt and cut off one of the ropes to open a box. She lifted the lid and a big smile appeared on her face when the long-awaited golden coins shone in front of her. She took one and looked at it: the effigy printed was that of Elendil, the ancient King of Gondor and Arnor.

"Yes ..." she whispered. "Yes..."

It was there. That immense treasure was all hers, at that point. "Yesss !!" She shouted.

"Have you found what you were looking for?" asked Oropher, who was peering into the cave. "Hmm. Not very impressive."

"What are you talking about? It is not even possible to count how many coins there are. This is enough money to ..." she said, as she put her hands on the pile of coins. "... to really build me a kingdom."

"You should see my cave. Only one of the stones I keep is worth five of your boxes." said the Dragon. "And I'm curious to see how you intend to move them from here."

"I will ask the Elves for help." answered Goneril, still dazzled by that immense treasure.

"... Elves?" replied Oropher. "Have you noticed that this territory is empty?"

Goneril turned around. "Perhaps someone has remained in the kingdom of Elrond." She answered. "Maybe someone chose not to go to Valinor."

"Don't be too hopeful. You see, dear human, you put yourself in a complicated situation." Oropher teased her. "I will leave in a few minutes. I will return to my cave in the Misty Mountains, and there I will close my eyes forever. I will lay on my bed of diamonds, rubies and sapphires. They will be frozen by time, with me. You will remain here instead, alone, with this useless gold, and without any possibility of taking it away. Was this your big dream, the obsessive idea that has consumed you in the recent weeks? "

"Hah!...don't worry about my dreams. I said I had a plan. I know what to do." She stood up and walked slowly towards Oropher. "You kept your promise. You can fly away now. And farewell."