Fangorn

They had left a few hours before dawn, when the moon was preparing to say goodbye to the scenes and leave space to the sun.

Once arrived at the border with Fangorn, Goneril fell silent for a brief moment, when in front of her, after the mist had cleared, the infamous Forest appeared.

In the thick of that immense trap of branches, trunks and withered foliage, she could see no glimmer of life. Neither birds, nor insects, or a movement that suggested the presence of animate beings.

And even the cruel Generaless, who had in the years developed an invisible armor against fear, felt a shudder at the base of her neck.

Lassalle was scared to death, but he tried to look brave on his first official mission. His future in the legion depended on that adventure, and he had to be careful.

Goneril had given him the order to bring several objects: her bow and a quiver full of arrows, a few pieces of cloth cut into thin strips and a bottle of brandy. This last request seemed bizarre to the boy, who had commented with Hammon: "Do you think she wants to get drunk?"

"Ah, I don't know. I really don't know, Lassalle. Never ask me questions about her decisions." the captain had replied wearily.

All three stopped in front of the Forest. The horses themselves were nervous, except for Aldair: the black stallion showed the same absolute calm as his owner.

"Let's move. The horses will stay here." Goneril ordered.

The four dismounted and left the steeds free from the bridle and the bite, and the animals immediately began to graze the little grass that had sprung up in small bunches on the icy ground.

"They won't escape?" asked Lassalle naively.

"Kid, please. Horses trained for years should escape, for you? Is it better for you to reconnect your brain to your mouth, lil' toad. Hope Goneril hasn't heard that." Hammon warned him.

Lassalle preferred to turn to the blond captain, rather than to Degarre. He was younger, and although he often made fun of him, he was even more willing to help.

"Lassalle!" the woman called. "Come here."

The boy immediately ran to her.
"Did you bring what I asked you?" Goneril wanted to know.

"Y-yes, General. It's all here in my bag. And this is your bow, with arrows. I had it fixed by our expert ..." Lassalle answered.

Goneril seemed pleased. "Magnificent. Now, give everything to Hammon."

Lassalle did what she said. Then he turned back to the woman, who pointed at the entrance to that dark wood.

"Go there, come on. We follow you at a short distance." she said. Her glacial eyes stared at the boy's pale face. He began to feel worried: he knew the rumors about the Forest very well, and the idea of ​​going in there  didn't exactly fill him with joy.

Goneril sensed his fears.  "Come on, boy. I know you will lead us out of that tangle. You are smart and you have great intuition. That's why I brought you with us."  She told him.
A fleeting glance ran between Degarre and Hammon.  What a filthy liar, they both thought.

Lassalle walked uncertainly toward the edge of the wood and, after holding back a sigh of fear, he crossed the line.  He soon felt in his nostrils the smell of mold, rotten wood and mushrooms.  The ground was covered with brown and soggy foliage, the sound of his footsteps on that bed of rotting vegetation and dead branches was somehow disturbing.

He turned around: Goneril and the two men followed him a few feet away.  The General nodded: "Move."  She ordered.

Lassalle took a long breath to give himself courage, but something, perhaps a gnat or dust, entered his throat, causing him a spasmodic cough.  He blushed, thinking about the miserable figure he was doing and could imagine Goneril's thoughts at that moment.  I'm a soldier, damn it!  he told himself in his mind.  I am no longer a child!  I have to make it!