The legion

"...you did what ?!" asked Degarre, while Goneril was explaining the agreement she had made with Éomer.
"Should we go to Isengard ?! Cross that cursed Forest ?!"

The woman turned to look at him, while her black horse, Aldair, proceeded on the path.

"Yes." She answered. "Does this thing bother you?"

"Well, Goneril, it won't be easy. It's a mission beyond our capabilities, I'd say." Hammon intervened. He and Degarre had exchanged incredulous glances while returning from Edoras.

How could their general think of dragging five hundred men through Fangorn? That forest was a dangerous place: it was said that the trees moved at night, that they stretched their branches turning them into grotesque wooden hands, to grab those who ventured nearby. Then they killed those unfortunate travellers, or made them disappear under their roots. It was also said that among its inhabitants there was a particular family of Elves, called Ents, who took the form of a plant to camouflage themselves. They hated intruders.

Goneril stopped Aldair's march. "What did you say, Hammon?"

The captain stiffened, as always, when the woman's eyes shone that way. Usually, it was the last signal before the attack ... a bit like the rattlesnakes that made the tail vibrate before biting.
"I mean that so far we have always defeated all the armies, and the warrior groups we met. But because we fought against men, or against orcs. Well....the dark forces of that forest...Goneril, I'm afraid it's too much for us. Not to mention Saruman. "

Degarre confirmed. "He is right, General. Nobody discusses your ability as a leader, since you are at our head you have always led us to victory, and to excellent earnings. We all respect you. But this time you are asking us, and our soldiers, an excessive effort: conducting our entire legion through Fangorn will be a collective suicide.The horses will never be able to make their way through those thick brushwoods, and half of our men risk being killed by the demonic energies that took possession of the trees. Think about this, please. "

"Really distressing." Goneril said, looking first at Hammon and then at Degarre. "You two should be my trusted helpers, my captains, those in whom I should place my utmost trust. You are just two cowards."

Degarre became nervous.  "Wait a moment..."

"Wait for what?"  she interrupted him, bringing her left hand to the hilt of her sword, which was completely covered with gold.  "Do you want to object again?"

"No. I would follow you everywhere, you know this. But our men risk a lot in this mission."  Degarre answered, trying not to reveal nervousness.

"I never said I want to take all our men with me. Only three of them."  She smiled briefly.  "That is to say, the young Lassalle, Hammon, and ... you."

Degarre didn't understand.  "I mean, in your opinion, only the four of us should go to challenge Saruman?"  The situation was turning absurd.  "Forgive me, but I can't understand your intentions."

"I see."  the woman murmured.  "I know very well that five hundred men can't go through a damn tangle like Fangorn. I'm not an idiot, even if you and this guy are implying it ..."

"That's not true ..." Hammon stammered.

"Shut up."  She intimated him. "...this will not be a war action. It will be a refined job, clean, without smudging. It will be easier if we are few. I intend to cross the forest, get to Isengard, and personally climb to the top of that tower. I will do everything by myself, you three will watch my back and nothing else."

"But Goneril ... that territory now is full of orcs, and Uruk-Hais. They are all Saruman's slaves. They say he has put together an immense army. They will see you, they will catch you and later ... you will fall  under their tortures. "  Hammon said.