The White Wizard

The three turned around.

A human figure appeared before them, surrounded by what looked like a luminescent aura.  An old man with very long white hair like his tunic.  He held a staff, also white, and watched them with curiosity.

Goneril thought: here he is.  I didn't think it would be so easy.

He must have been the famous Saruman, she guessed.  Immediately she pulled her golden sword out of the lining, and ordered the others: "You, watch out. But don't move, if I don't order you so."

She pointed the weapon at the old man.  "Well, Saruman the White. You've made my job easier by coming here."  She walked slowly around.  "They say you are the most powerful of the Wizards ... but, apparently, not the wisest."

The old man didn't look scared or surprised.  He just stared at Goneril with his blue eyes.

"Do you think you know my identity?"  the hoary man asked.

"Yes, I believe so."  she replied, with her usual malevolent grin.  "In Rohan, far from here,  they have a little problem, Wizard. And they are all pretty sure you are the cause. Therefore, they asked me the favor of finding a solution."  She told him.

"And with the promise of a high payment, right?"  asked the old man.  He almost looked like a grandpa conversing amiably with his granddaughter.  Degarre felt no negativity in that white wizard and began to suspect that Goneril, perhaps for the first time in her life, was wrong.

"Exactly. Now," she continued "... I don't like to kill. You know, I have the reputation of being a cruel virago, but I don't think I deserve it to the fullest. I don't like taking other people's lives, honestly. And if you don't force me to do it, I'm not going to take yours. But you have to earn this immense privilege I'm offering you, by leaving King Théoden free from your grip, and Rohan free from the Uruk-Hai threat. Do it, and you can continue your pleasant walks in the woods. "  Goneril explained.

Hammon had heard the woman so many times offering a last chance to the enemies and always with that lashing tone. Choose: go away from these lands on your legs, or leave this world on my sword. Many had been those who had underestimated her threats. It was rare to see a girl in armor. They changed their mind only when Goneril cut one of their arms or legs.

Now, however, there was an Istari in front of them, and an Istari could throw them five miles away with only a movement of his magic staff. The captain began to worry. "Goneril ..." he murmured.

"And if you saved the life of the one you believe to be Saruman, here in front of you, don't you fear that he could bring death and destruction to other territories, apart from Rohan?" the old man continued to ask.

"This doesn't concern me. I work for the people of Edoras. What happens elsewhere, it's not my damn problem. What is your answer?" Goneril replied dryly.

The white wizard looked at the two captains, who were waiting with their swords in their hands. "Théoden gave you this job ... really?"

Degarre said: "Not him. His nephew. Answer our question ... do you surrender ...?"

The old man smiled and at that moment Degarre was certain that he was not Saruman. On his face he read nothing but goodness and compassion: that Wizard could not be a servant of Sauron.

"Éomer would never make agreements with a group of mercenaries. You have come here of your own free will. Indeed, by your will." he said, turning to the girl. "You felt saddened by the situation in which Théoden lives, and your heart broke."

The two men looked at their General. Goneril seemed struck by those words: for a brief moment a shadow of sorrow passed over her face.

Hammon intervened: "We don't risk our lives for nothing ... two chests of gold have been promised. That's why we are ..."