Passage to North

Sigrid,

if you are reading this letter, you have already received news of my disappearance.
I know you won't understand.
I leave Dale for the second time in my life, I leave our people, forever.

See darling, he and I can't be separated.  It is madness, I know, but I have always followed my instinct, and now it drives me to return to the Elves.
I ask you one last great favor: you must administer my properties.  I entrust you with the execution of my will.  My house will go to Esther, daughter of Robert and Jen Hockster.  She's a poor, unfortunate woman, you know that.  I want to leave her the villa, the rose garden, but you have to forbid her sister Flora to see her.  She must stay away from Esther.  And ask Bettie to take care of her, like she did with me.  I have money deposited in the treasury of the realm.  You can use those funds to guarantee an annuity to Esther. 

My parents' old house ... I would like it to become a place for children.  There is already a school in Dale, but perhaps that residence can be turned into a kindergarten.  It has been uninhabited for years.

Farewell my friend, over the years you have been like a sister.  Give Tilda a hug for me, and to your nephew Elias.

I'm sorry you didn't have any children, Sigrid.  Cruel destiny has deprived you of the greatest joy.  But all the children of this kingdom, after all, are your children.  Take care of them.

Roswehn.

After reading those words, the Queen of Dale and Esgaroth sighed.

"Did anyone see them leave?"  She asked her nephew.

"No. They left at night, hidden by the darkness. The guards at the entrance let them go out. They were intimidated by the Elven King."  Elias explained.  "He ordered to open the door and they did it."

"And that warrior ... the mercenary one? What do you know about her?"  Sigrid asked.  She was sitting in her large bedroom, inside the Royal Palace.

She had not slept knowing that Thranduil was there in Dale.  The first time he had visited their territory, he had stolen Roswehn's heart.  The night before, he had taken her away forever.

But for what reason?  To do what, with a woman of that age?  It was obvious that they would no longer experience physical love.  So how would they spend their days together?  And why was her old friend Roswehn, who feared the judgment of the Elves, returning to them?

"Unfortunately ... we didn't find her. Susannah Deveraux and her friend told me that they had met a stranger in the city. She was hidden in the barn of the two Stuttons, poor Hugh fell off the chair when we questioned him about it.  He says he never had guests, nor relatives on visit, and that he didn't know a thing about any mysterious girl. I inspected the straw deposit with two soldiers, and found nothing. Nothing at all. But Susannah claims that that girl  had a strange, malevolent look ... maybe it was Goneril, in disguise." Elias reasoned.  "The soldiers are continuing the patrols in the city. If she is here, we will find her. Someone will notice her."

"Why do you think she wanted to meet Roswehn, and harm her? Thranduil wasn't clear about that." Sigrid asked.

"I don't know. Roswehn left before we could ask her. The two soldiers who accompanied Thranduil forbade us to enter Monrose house. When the night fell, we left." said Elias. "... but you should not have allowed it! Roswehn is a subject of this kingdom! Thranduil entered our territory and acted as if it was his own realm! He kidnapped one of our citizens ..."

"Oh, stop that! He didn't kidnap her at all. Those two are in love. Despite the passing of the decades, they love each other. I just don't understand how they can live together ... given Roswehn's condition." answered Sigrid.