The black armies

It had not been difficult for Haldir to find a weapon.

He had simply entered his father's rooms and stolen his grandfather Oropher's sword from a shrine. Thranduil considered that blade so precious that he had hidden it in his quarters, protected by four sheets of crystal.

There was no lock to force because Thranduil took it for granted that none of his Elves would have ever dared steal it.

The prince had carefully opened the silver and crystal case and grabbed the precious weapon.  It suited his hands perfectly, it was just a bit heavy.

"Nobody will bring the inferno in your territory, Grandfather. You'll see what I can do." Haldir said, slipping out of the regal apartments.

"Your Highness!"  a voice was heard.

Haldir turned around: he saw Hazel, a few meters away from him.  The soldier's gaze fell on the sword.  "You shouldn't have done it, your heighness."

Haldir approached the other Elf, and grabbed his wrist.  "Don't get started now, Captain. There is war out there. It's my duty to fight, you know."

"I could arrest you for this. You stole from the King."  objected Hazel.  "This weapon is invaluable to your father, you know."

"Ah really? Do it, then."  the prince provoked him.  "Lock me up in a cell. Arrest me."

The elven captain lowered his eyes.  His sense of duty found strong resistance to the resolve of the King's son. They were almost the same age and both had a pugnacious spirit.  Hazel understood the state of mind of the prince, who knew how to fight very well.  Thus said Feren, who had been his trainer for years.

"No? So let me go, Hazel."  said Haldir.  "My father will not find out that you saw me with this sword, fear not."

"You underestimate the King, your highness. I could be exiled if I let you go out of the Palace. You must be watched over, and Lord Thranduil has given me the task these days."  retorted Hazel.

"You should stay with your wife instead, captain. You shouldn't be an overseer. Go to her and together take care of my mother, please."  said Haldir.

"No. Your father ordered me ..." the soldier tried to reply.

"... my father ordered you to deprive me of freedom! You and to Feren and the others! Did you see how my life has been over the years? You would call this a life ?!"  the young Elf despaired.  "... don't you feel guilty? Don't you feel the weight of this injustice on your shoulders ?!"

"I am a soldier. I obey the orders of the King, who is the highest authority among this people. I believe you understand this, your highness."  answered Hazel, unperturbed.

Haldir stared at him, his cheeks red with agitation.  From the human mother, the Elf had also taken the tendency to blush, for embarrassment or anger.
"It's true, you just obey orders."  he finally said.  "So I order you to come with me."

Hazel replied: "This is not possible. I would be punished, it would be a blatant disobedience to Lord Thranduil."  He protested.  "Please. I don't want to become a traitor."

"Traitor?"  the prince repeated.  "You would betray this realm if you did not fulfill the demands of the heir to the throne."

"With all due respect, Prince Legolas is the heir to the throne of Eryn Galen. Not you."  answered Hazel, a little confused.

"There is something you don't know, my friend. Legolas will not have the crown, my mother told me this, the day she left Greenwood. A decision that I did not understand, but it's final. And my father will not remain on the throne forever. Who will hold the kingdom after his abdication, in your opinion?" Haldir asked.