Kings and Queens

Goneril's hopes became concrete faster than she had expected.

Thranduil had in fact decided to go to Dale himself. With him, two soldiers of his personal guard.

While the warrior was searching for her long golden sword in the middle of the barn's straw, the King and his Elves appeared before the great entrance of the realm. The patrol soldiers were shocked to see him approaching on horseback.

"It's not possible ... Thranduil ?! Here ?!" one asked. "What the hell are we doing?"

"We have to let him in. What would you do, force him to wait on the threshold?" snapped another, turning to the other soldiers. "Someone bring the news to the Queen!"

Immediately a boy ran to the Royal Palace.

Thranduil didn't even look at the men, he crossed the entrance on horseback with his usual arrogance.

He took a look around. He could not bear the sight of the territories populated by mortals: they were so dirty, poor. There was no elegance or beauty, like in the Elven world. Dale had been rebuilt since he visited it the last time, but it still was a worthless place.
Except for the fact that ... she lived there.

He turned to the two who followed him. "Ask people where Roswehn's house is." he ordered.

One of the two dismounted and walked towards a woman who was watching the visitors. She was so astonished that she had dropped her basket full of bread on the floor.

"You!" said the Elf. "We are looking for one of your fellow citizens. Monrose. Her name is Roswehn Monrose."

The woman recovered from the wonder and looked at him. "The lady of Dale? Her house is over there." She pointed to a narrow street. "I mean, at the end of that street. So it's true ..." she murmured. She watched Thranduil. "The great Elf King ... he came here for her ..."

"Our King intends to visit her. Come with us, show us the way. This, for your concern." the elven soldier said, and handed her a golden coin.

The woman weighed the object, while a big smile was drawn on her face. "Oh, sure!" She exclaimed. "Follow me."

"Don't move!"
A voice shouted.
Elias, son of Bain, the younger brother of Queen Sigrid, made his appearance on the scene: as his father had been in the past, he was commander of Dale's army. A man still young, who looked a lot like his deceased grandfather Bard the Bowman.

Elias approached Thranduil, who still sat on the saddle. "Lord Thranduil, it is a pleasure and an honor to have you here. I am Elias, son of Commander Bain, brother of the Queen. I am pleased to welcome you on behalf of my aunt. But I must inform you that, according to our laws, you should pay homage to the crown, before moving into our territory. Please, follow me to the Palace. "

Meanwhile, a small group of villagers had stopped their business and gathered around to watch the King. An extraordinary show for them, who had never seen an Elf.

"Thranduil! ...it's incredible, it's really him ..." a man whispered.

"Yeah, look at the rich clothes ... and that tiara ..." another commented.

"He never visited us, why did he come here, in your opinion?" a woman said in a low voice.

"Can't you imagine? He came to see his ex mistress ..." another answered, with a nasty tone.

Curiosity soon spread. There was also Bettie Stark in that group of peasants. She had left the baker's shop and his handsome owner, after realizing that she had lingered there too long. She was a young woman without boyfriend and Anton was very attractive: she had managed to ask him out and the guy had accepted. It was probable that the young man had dated half a dozen girls before her, but Bettie did not care: better to share that handsome young man with others, than to spend the umpteenth week end alone. Or with Roswehn.