chapter two : THE ISLAND

"Come on, Bud!" Hiccup Cheers out through his black-scaled and leather helmet. "Woo!" The dragon rider whoops as Toothless shoots a volley of plasma shots as the two spiral downwards towards the sea. The duo make a sharp, upright motion and level out over the sea, slowing down from their fun, and begin gliding. "You know, we should probably be heading back." Hiccup states, leaning back on his friend's riding gear, the black dragon huffs in response. "I don't think we'll be seeing that dragon again," Hiccup says with affirmation.

The two friends have been flying on for over a week, following the trail of a dragon that uses sound to lure other dragons to itself-a sort of song-so that it can capture them in an amber-like substance before feeding. Sadly, they haven't had any luck in tracking it down since the previous day. It isn't the first time they've run into it, they've had a brief encounter in the past.

In the calm of their gliding, Toothless interrupts by making a sudden jerk upwards, flying higher. "What is it, Toothless?" Hiccup asks while leaning back into the saddle and patting his friend's side. He scans the water in search of whatever it was that had sent his friend off. Toothless points his head and growls, drawing Hiccup's attention to a ship in the distance that is trying to outrun a harsh storm in the background. "They're not going to make it." Hiccup thinks aloud before steering Toothless in a circle, saying, "Let's make sure they'll be alright, can't just have them die. Come on, let's head to that island back aways." Toothless takes his friend's suggestion and starts flying towards the island. To the longboat, they're covered by the clouds and hidden under the darkening sky.

"Quick, Bud, fly higher." Hiccup shouts determinedly. "Oh gods, Dagur would sure love to hear about this one, wouldn't he?" Hiccup exclaims to Toothless as he looks behind him at the raging storm that's edging closer to them. Toothless struggles against the increasingly stronger wind as his large wings work against him, slowing the night fury down. Hiccup spares a glance at the longboat below, seeing the little specks of Vikings hurriedly moving around on the deck. "We can't watch them now, let's get out of here." Hiccup states as he leans closer to Toothless' body, essentially hugging the dragon's neck to help them stay aerodynamic. Toothless struggles against the wind, flapping his wings harder to try and gain altitude and get out of the harshest of the wind.

Regret fills the emerald eyes of the night fury as they are caught in severe downdrift that pulls on Toothless', forcing control away from the dragon. Hiccup does his best to guide Toothless downwards in an attempt to escape the downdrift, an action which results in the loss of control of the prosthetic tailfin as lightning flashes harshly beside them, and the loud thunder gives the dragon an intense head throbbing. Hiccup is knocked unconscious from the intensity and begins sliding off the saddle. Toothless quickly realizes what's happening, and rapidly wraps himself around his friend as they bomb towards a sudden forest, the dragon croons an apology as he knows this will harm him but will jar Hiccup much worse.

Trees snap as the night fury hurdles into them, cutting into his hide, and it is thankfully stopped as Toothless is turned violently and crashes into hard soil, forcing him to start rolling on the ground, but he keeps his friend safe inside his wings. Toothless can still feel the heartbeat of his friend and lets out a pained croon of relief; luckily, it isn't the first time this has happened. Many years before, Hiccup had lost his left foot in a similar way.

Hiccup finds himself waking up in a field, no longer in the protective surroundings of his friend's wings. He looks around, the tall grass flowing in the ocean breeze as the sea meets his glance. "Hiccup," a feminine voice calls to him. He quickly turns around to meet a woman dressed in white, her face is covered by a blooming light seemingly coming from no source, however, he can make out that the woman's hair is blonde. "Wake up." The woman tells Hiccup, which awakens him the real world as he jerks in Toothless's paws. Toothless croons his relief from Hiccup waking up and releases Hiccup from his grasp and into the outside world.