How To Choose A Gecko

As mentioned in the previous chapter, crested geckos' conservation status is vulnerable, and their population is decreasing. For this reason, it is highly recommended that aspiring crested gecko owners purchase captive-bred geckos rather than wild-caught geckos.

       Other issues can arise from purchasing a wild-caught reptile. These issues, which apply to any wild-caught reptile, include decreased tamability, no guarantee of health, no information on family/genetic history, the possibility of parasites, increased chance of stress-related injuries, difficulty feeding, etc. Because of these issues, wild-caught reptiles tend to be less expensive then captive-bred reptiles. However, the consequences of purchasing a wild-caught reptile outweigh the benefit of the lowered price tag. 

       Now that we've established why a captive-bred crested gecko is preferable, let's talk about where to purchase one. Before purchasing a crested gecko, make sure that you can care for the reptile properly and are prepared for its potentially long lifespan (15 years). How to care for a crested gecko will be covered in later chapters. 

       First, where should you purchase a crested gecko? Crested geckos are common, and are relatively easy to come upon in the reptile world. They can be found in chain pet stores as well as in local pet or reptile stores, they can be purchased from breeders, pet expos, and even online. Before deciding where to get a crested gecko, look into where the animals are sourced as to not contribute to the abuse or mishandling of reptiles.  Choose where to purchase your crested gecko responsibly. Do not choose an animal simply because it is cheaper or easier to get if you are aware of any malpractice involved in the obtaining/handling/care/treatment of the animal. The easiest way to purchase a healthy, beautiful crested gecko is to get one from a reputable breeder. 

       How much is a crested gecko? The price of these geckos ranges wildly depending mostly on the kind of morph (color/pattern) of the gecko. Prices also vary depending on from whom the gecko is purchased. The average prices of crested geckos will be between 50-70$ USD for a more common morph. Understand that the price of the animal alone is not the final price of owning an animal. Owners will need to purchase supplies. It is unlikely that you will find any of the more expensive morphs (worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars) unless you specifically seek them out from a breeder or online.  Should you find that purchasing from a breeder or store is too expensive, you can also purchase crested geckos secondhand. Owners give up their reptiles for various reasons, so it is not difficult to find one in good condition for a cheaper price. Be wary of dishonest sellers when purchasing any animal online.

       The kind of morphs you will typically find (and for a good price) will be flame crested geckos, pinstripe crested geckos, solid color crested geckos, dalmatian crested geckos, bicolor and tricolor crested geckos. Understand that the level of intensity of each of these traits will affect the price. Higher intensity means a higher price. 

       If you already own a crested gecko and are planning on purchasing another and adding it to the same terrarium, know the gender of your crested gecko. It is not recommended to keep multiple males in the same tank, as they are territorial and will fight. Whether or not females can be kept together is controversial. Do not keep males with females unless you are intending to and are prepared to breed. 

      Personality is another factor to consider when purchasing a crested gecko. Being unable to handle a crested gecko before purchasing is one downside to purchasing a gecko online. The crested geckos' personality lies on a spectrum from calm, slow and still to jumpy, energetic and flighty. Younger crested geckos tend to be flightier and feistier than adults, so a baby may mellow as it ages.