Opposites Attract II: Part 19 - Emotional Transitions

I sat on the jet to see Kyrie waiting for me as the steps were brought down. He walked up the steps and grabbed me tenderly. I hug him back glad that I had someone who cared for me. It'd be a while since I felt the affection from someone he is giving me at the moment. He rubs my swollen cheek and helps me off the jet. I had the intention of holding the twins in the back seat to his home but to my surprise, he had brand new car seats installed. I knew the seats did not belong to his little girl because she is 4 years old. His generosity warmed my heart on this cold evening.

His truck was warm and so were the seats. He turned down the radio and spoke to me, "I'm glad you are here. I've been so worried and praying to Allah you would be okay," he studies my face. "But you are," he smiles.

"Thank you. Thank you for the car seats. Just everything. I'm grateful,"

"No, I'm your friend. I'm doing what I should do," he drove. "But there is one thing I have to tell you. I have to train each morning except on weekends but you will have me after 3 p.m. every day. You cool with that?" he smiles.

"As long as you are here." I smile back.

Our ride was silent and I felt at peace with him. I could finally get a rest. I laid the seat back and looked at the window tiredly. I enjoyed his company at his place. It was not what I expected from him. His home was clean, with a colorful aesthetic that explained his attitude. The home was lit nicely showing its nice features. Pictures of his Nike campaign were on the wall as he posed with his shoes. His religious belief was a statement in his home. Statues, paintings and a bookcase of his readings gave a feeling of peace even though I didn't understand his belief. I guess it has to grow on me if I'm staying here. He showed me the side of the brownstone I would have. The area was built like a little apartment without a kitchen. There was a sitting area, 3 bedrooms, and complementary bathrooms. I took a hot shower while he entertained the twins when they woke up.

I walk downstairs and see Kyrie teaching the twins encouraging them to walk. I smile because they are trying. I guess it was time for them to grow up and start to run next. I sit next to him on the couch and watch their legs wobble.

"I cannot. They're growing up so fast."

He sighs, "I know the feeling. My little girl is hard to keep up with now and she's in Pre-K," We continue to watch them. "I'm getting a little hungry. Do you like Chinese?"

"Mhm. I do. Especially, the cream cheese rangoons. Ugh, yes"

He grabs his phone and opens the postmates app. "Do you want authentic Chinese or Panda Express?"

I stare at him sideways, "Are you trying to be funny?"

He laughs, "To be honest, yes. When you said rangoons you gave it away. I think you told me you liked Panda Express a few times. I'm not sure."

I was shocked he remembered, "I do like their food a lot. Didn't you tell me you were on a strict diet during training? Why are you eating badly?"

"Because eating badly with your friends is fun. Duh," he says sarcastically. "And do you know how many calories I burn each day? Probably 1,500 at the least. I'll fine for sure." He placed his phone down.

"Why'd you do postmates? I don't mind going back out. I kind of want to see the city."

"Oh, my bad. I just thought since you know." I nod and agree with him, "I'll take you out tomorrow for sure. It'll have to be dinner though. But anyway, I'm trying my best to stay out of the media unless I'm required to post or do an interview. During preseason, it's a lot going on and talking shit. A lot of this comes from leaving Boston. It was kinda hard leaving my old team and transitioning here but I feel more at home and it's made the process easier but the media makes it harder. So what I'm trying to say is, staying away from the media is the best thing for me. They tend to say cruel things and comment on shit they have no clue about and I'm not trying to have another outburst again. And considering you, I'm trying to protect you and get you mentally healthy."