Opposites Attract I: Part 15 - Foul Play

Olivia invited me to a charity ball courtesy of her job

Olivia invited me to a charity ball courtesy of her job. The charity is for the foster children in the department of social services that she works at as a social worker. Tonight I am not feeling it. I'm still hurt and pissed about what I saw at Michael's house last night. I never expected him to cheat on me and I don't understand why he would do that to me. I never cheated on him. I know he is a ladies man but why did he have to do it? I thought we were starting new lives together as one but I guess it was a phase. I sat in the passenger's side of Olivia's car dreading this event. She literally had to drag me out of my bed so I could get dressed. Upon arrival at the venue, I sigh because I was not in the mood to network but I also need a job soon. We both exited the car and walked up to the rotating doors.

Olivia grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the doorway. "Lauryn. I know you're upset and yes he was wrong but I couldn't let you stay cooped up in your place like that. Get some air. You may even find a new man here." She glanced behind her shoulder and winked at Caucasian man with a dapper suit on. "Okay. We're not staying long. An hour and a half tops. Okay?"

I look at her with a blank expression and fiddle with my necklace.

"Are you going to respond?"

"Okay. An hour and a half. Plus, I'm not looking for no damn man. Where the drinks at?" I roll my eyes in search of the nearest bar.

We both walk over and grab a glass of champagne. We turn our backs to the bar to survey the venue that was packed. There were some good looking men here but I am still not open to this.

"Hey. I heard there is a job opening in the accounting department of CIB. The department manager is here. You want to go over there and network with him?" She began to walk over as she held my hand.

I didn't budge. "Nah. I'm just not there tonight Liv. I'm just so fucked up from this. I thought he was different."

She rolls her eyes. "Look. I thought he was too and I still can't believe he did that. Are you sure that was what you saw?"

"I know what he looks like and I know what I saw. I swear if I see him anytime soon, I'm going to slap the shit out of him."

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I would like to welcome you to the 34th Annual The Children's Hope Charity Ball." There were applauds.

I turn my full body to the stage and see Michael speaking. My breathing is shallow and I bite my lip in anger.

"Lauryn, I swear I didn't know he was going to be here. This must be a sudden change in the program." Olivia whispers in my ear and I could hear her shuffling through the program. "See his name isn't here."

I snatch the program and see that someone else was supposed to speak.

"Thank you all for being so inviting to me. My colleague David Fitzgerald couldn't be here due to sudden illness so I will be standing in for him to do the welcome." He continues to speak and I could see him reading from a TelePrompTer.